Sign in to follow this  
helms83

UPDATE: The Final Decision

Well, after all the help from everyone on this site, I finally purchased my new rods and reel:

I got the Carbonlite Combo: 6'6 MH X-fast Rod w/6.4:1 LH Reel

Then the big purchase...

I went ahead and got the St Croix Avid 7'M Moderate Rod for crankin.

The guy at BPS hooked me up, taught me a lot, and explained everything to me; while making sure I wasn't pressured to spend the money. He gave me a HUGE hook up on everything, on top of my military discount. So I was able to get some lures as well. He told me to try 12lb Sunline as well.

So I was excited on the way back from BPS and couldn't help myself; I had to stop by my local pond.

Now, at this pond this summer, I have caught all of one bass. I grab the carbonlite combo, throw on a shakey head with a zoom trick worm in Pumpkin Green. First cast, slowly shakey and I hook up with a dink. Second cast, another dink, but again it's a bass. Third and Fourth casts, get hits, but unable to land anything. Already more action on my pond than the past 3 months combined!

Tomorrow morning I'm going to a lake on post that has some offshore standing timber. I can't wait to try everything out in full force!

Thanks for everyones help!!!

Sounds like a good decision.

Enjoy!! :)

Well, after all the help from everyone on this site, I finally purchased my new rods and reel:

Then the big purchase...

The guy at BPS hooked me up, taught me a lot, and explained everything to me; while making sure I wasn't pressured to spend the money. He gave me a HUGE hook up on everything, on top of my military discount. So I was able to get some lures as well. He told me to try 12lb Sunline as well.

So I was excited on the way back from BPS and couldn't help myself; I had to stop by my local pond.

Now, at this pond this summer, I have caught all of one bass. I grab the carbonlite combo, throw on a shakey head with a zoom trick worm in Pumpkin Green. First cast, slowly shakey and I hook up with a dink. Second cast, another dink, but again it's a bass. Third and Fourth casts, get hits, but unable to land anything. Already more action on my pond than the past 3 months combined!

Tomorrow morning I'm going to a lake on post that has some offshore standing timber. I can't wait to try everything out in full force!

Im pretty sure CL's only come in RH.

Edit: Basspro.com confirms they only come in RH.

Guest beowulfx71

Avid rods are sweet, plus lifetime warranty and St Croix have good customer service.

Then the big purchase...

No they don't, it's LH. I'm pretty sure by now I know the difference between left/right, lol. The guys at BPS couldn't believe it was a LH model as well, but it is.

Then the big purchase...

No they don't, it's LH. I'm pretty sure by now I know the difference between left/right, lol. The guys at BPS couldn't believe it was a LH model as well, but it is.

Oh thanks for correcting me, I love my carbonlite reel, but I wish they would come out with a 7:1:1 gear, by chance did you figure out if they expanded the gear selection also?

Lower Douglas?

The guys at BPS claimed the reel still only comes in 6.4:1. I want the reel in 5.2, it's so light and even 1/8 shakey heads fly! I love the rod as well, very sensitive.

But hands down, the avid is AMAZING! Wow! Sensitive, castability, no matter the weight of the lure or type, this rod is great. I'm going to get the Pro qualifier, LH 5.2:1 and throw that bad boy on there and have the prefect crank rod.

Lower Douglas?

The one and only. My first time out there. I fished from the shore among the standing timber. Only caught 2 dinks, 1 shook off at shoreline, and missed setting the hook on the other. It was slow, but the topwater bite was the most effective. Any tips for the lake or anything?

The guys at BPS claimed the reel still only comes in 6.4:1. I want the reel in 5.2, it's so light and even 1/8 shakey heads fly! I love the rod as well, very sensitive.

But hands down, the avid is AMAZING! Wow! Sensitive, castability, no matter the weight of the lure or type, this rod is great. I'm going to get the Pro qualifier, LH 5.2:1 and throw that bad boy on there and have the prefect crank rod.

I wonder if we could just exchange the PQ gears?

Great choice on the Avid.  It sounds like you've already been bitten by the bug.  Soon you'll want to move-up to the LTB's, then the LE's, then...

Yeah, the avid is great. I see why good rods cost so much, lol. A world of difference between a $50 to a $180 rod. Even the carbonlite, $100, is a great rod. Definently worth the money. Can't wait to try out the avid with the pro qualifier.

yeah, basspro.com doesn't always reflect what's really available. a guy on another forum confirmed that lefty CLs were being sold at the phoenix area BPS. also, i've seen three different prolite finesse rod models at the manteca BPS that was never listed in the print catalog or on the BPS website.