Sign in to follow this  
philsoreel

Do plastics float on Carolina rigs?

Will a fluorocarbon leader cause my finesse worm to sink on a Carolina rig? Do only floating/hand poured worms float?

Roughly 8-12ft of water. 18-20in leader

Some plastics float, some dont. Depends.

On what?

What I really want to know is will fluorocarbon make a plastic sink that would typically float with mono?

Not very many plastic baits actually float.  Throw the ones you have in question into a bucket of water or your sink and watch... then add terminal tackle to any that are neutrally buoyant and watch the outcome.  Pull most any plastic through the water column as with a carolina rig and they will ride above the lake bottom.  Stop the locomotion and they will drop to the bottom.

steve

On what?

On the brand and the plastic they use.

And the hook on your c-rig will cause your plastic to sink, the fluoro will only make it sink a bit faster than say mono.

Ok, so you can actually change your presentation with line type/weight much in the same way you would with cranking. Big mono=staying higher in the water column Smaller mono=lower Fluorocarbon=lowest.

Ok, so you can actually change your presentation with line type/weight much in the same way you would with cranking. Big mono=staying higher in the water column Smaller mono=lower Fluorocarbon=lowest.

Essentially

Last weekend, my fishing buddy and I were fishing a local lake full of Kentucky Spots that are pressured. We both had Carolina rigs, same length leader, same worm, and the same hook. I'm not getting a bite and he is dragging them in left and right. I had on FC he had on mono. That variable only, was the difference between fishing and catching...

Last weekend, my fishing buddy and I were fishing a local lake full of Kentucky Spots that are pressured. We both had Carolina rigs, same length leader, same worm, and the same hook. I'm not getting a bite and he is dragging them in left and right. I had on FC he had on mono. That variable only, was the difference between fishing and catching...

...And the person fishing it. Biggest variable there is.

So true.

LOL...yes that is the very first variable that came to mind. However, in this case I feel confident my skills were not the difference maker.

When I want baits to have buoyancy, I inject them with air using a syringe.

Did you switch to Fluoro and start catching them?

I was using fluoro and he was using mono. I rigged his Carolina up for him,that's how I know we had the same everything except for the line difference. I would've tied on a mono leader but I got on them cranking.