Sign in to follow this  
GrizzerGreen

Is this a good combo? Please give opinion!

I was thinking about pairing up the Abu Garcia Spinning Rod with the Cabelas Tournement ZX.

I was just wondering if anyone had anyone experience with either of these and would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks guys!

Is it going to be a technique specific set up or what?

Also, which Abu rod is it?

I'm not so fond of the Vendetta spinning rods. A ton of better rods in that price range.

$150ish for the combo?

From ***:

Rods

6'9"Medium Carrot Stick, 6'8" Medium Daiwa Iaconelli, 703/704 Lamiglas Excel. ($80-$100)

Reels

Shimano Sonora or Sedona (2500size), Pflueger President or Trion (25-30 size)  $40-$60

and a free t-shirt

I'd suggest buying the Sonora, it's a fabulous reel for its price (I have 2 of them); spend the extra cash on the rod. JM 0.2.

I have but one spinning rod in the 80-100 dollar range. It's a 7' M/MF Team All Star that I use for shallow to medium cranking. It has been one good buy. But there are many decent rods in that price range.

For a basic bass set-up, I'd go with a medium power fast action rod, probably in the 7 foot range.

Also, whatever reel you get, I'd buy a 2500 size reel.

I say scour ebay for deals on a good, used reel  8-)

There are better options than a Vendetta in spinning in that price range. I'd check out the Compre.

Also, before you buy anything new, check out the flea market forum.  I've seen plenty of sedonas, saharas, and even symetres for not much more than a new sonora.  Same goes for rods.  You can  sometimes find great rods for about half price.

OK...so I'm gonna get it for going against Shimmano, but here goes.

Personally, I like the Pfleuger President (just bought one yesterday). Very smooth reel for the price and slightly more expensive reels. I thought it was considerably better than the Sedona and the Sahara. I didn't like the feel of the Shimmano's I tested; they seemed a bit sluggish compared to the President. I didn't check it against the Symmetre or more expensive Shimmanos because I wasn't looking to spend that much on the reel at the time. IMO it's a hard reel to beat for $60.  Now, to get it to the lake!