Sign in to follow this  
jannaqq

Appreciate any help choosing a baitcasting reel as a gift, clicker and flipper required

I'm very new to the world of baitcasting reels...and quite overwhelmed at the selection available. My father and brother fish quite a bit, including an annual trip to some big lakes in Canada for lake trout, northern pike, etc. I'd like to get my father a reel as a gift. I'm trying to find one that is smaller in size (as for bass) with both a drag clicker and a flipper. My research suggests the Quantum Accurist AC500CX is probably a pretty good fit. Are there any other baitcasting reels that I should be considering that are comparable to or better than the Accurist?

Not to sure what a flipper is, but the Accurist is a pretty good reel.

However, there are a lot of better reels.

If the Accurist has the price you are looking for, I would also check out others such as

- BPS Pro Qualifier

- Quantum Catalyst

- Revo S

What will your dad be using the reel for (cranks, jigs, topwater, etc.)?

This should be a large part of your decision on which reel to buy.

OHIO, thank you for sharing your insights and suggestions.

My understanding of the flipping switch is to make it possible or easier to pull out a predetermined length of line to make it to a target, swing the bait like a pendulum to the target, and have the reel engage immediately...in case the fish were to strike as soon as the bait hit the water.

Good point about the types of lures he will use...I will have to raid his tackle box when he isn't looking and find out.

As far as I know, most Daiwa reels can be engaged by manually moving the thumb bar which works like a flipping switch.  I've never used this feature or a flipping switch but I also have heard good things about shimanos instage system.

You aren't going to find a low profile reel with a clicker.  Flipping switch, yes there are several out there.

Shimano makes one with their version of a flipping switch in their Castaic reel.

With that said, I don't think it is worth its MSRP these days given that the Curado and Citica have seen two iterations while the castaic has not. This doesn't mean that this is not a bad reel. My point is that you will get more bang for the buck for better reels, minus the flipping switch, but yikes, it's a requirement for you. I have heard very good things about the accurist. I would, if it were up to me, choose between the castaic or the accurist.

As mentioned, I can't think of a single lp reel with a flippining switch that also has a clicker.

Have you considered round reels (for line capacity) to battle such big boys like lake trout and pike?  I think that there are a couple of versions of abu garcia round reels that have the bait clicker but not a flipping switch.

I think I'm confusing you more. Sorry! ;D Best of luck for your final decision.

IslandBass, thanks for your comments.   You didn't confuse me...just helped me appreciate my options.  That's helpful to me.    I'll look into the round reels and the shimano options.