Sign in to follow this  
fishfordollars

Have You Ever Had Your Knot Strength Checked on a Machine?

Went into the Stren booth at the PAA tournament up at Lake Conroe last month. They said their machine was loaded with clear blue mono in 15# test, but i cannot verify that. Tied the Palomar and a slip knot.

Palomar broke at 26.81 lbs.

Slip knot broke at 21.87 lbs.

Anyone ever had their knots checked?

How can the knot break after the breaking point of the line? Something fishy with the data here. I have seen a DVD of knot testing from Berkley's factory . The only knots tested that I can remember their ratings were Palomar, improved clinch, and Trilene. As I recall, the improved clinch failed at @ 75% of the line rating. The Palomar at @ 90%, and the Trilene at @ 95%. Can't remember how other knots fared.

How can the knot break after the breaking point of the line?

Because the line's breaking strength is higher than the lines stated testing strength.  Its pretty common with many lines, unless you are dealing with an IGFA approved line strength.

If my knots are holding under battlefield conditions I don't see the need to test them.  I only use clinch, loop, uni and the occasional palomar, they hold perfectly for the hardest fighting of saltwater fish and in the heaviest of slop for freshwater.  I can't remember the last time I lost a fish due to lack of knot strength.