Sign in to follow this  
SharkHat

Anniversary gift from employer (Exceler Combo)

So, I made it ten years at my company, and I got to choose a gift from an online "business partner". I skipped over the purses, cheap watches, and crap electronics and picked out a Daiwa Exceler baitcaster combo.

I've read lots of positive comments here about the Exceler reels, so I'm excited about the reel. Unfortunately I can't find diddly about the rods. The usual suspects (big box retailers) have the usual reviews, and I generally don't put much stock in those.

Does anybody know anything about the Exceler rods? I think the listing for the combo said 6' MF.  I figure if nothing else it might end up being a good starter rod for my future fishing partner (about to turn 3).

congratulations on the combo. Dont worry about how good the rod is. Its FREE!!! Go out fish it and enjoy it. As long as you like it and enjoy using it the rod and thats all you really need right? If you want some more sensitivity then spool you reel with braided line and use a 1-3' mono or fluro leader.

The reels are great! Keep it lubed though. The rods are IM-6 graphite and some are two-piece. Probably pretty sensitive and would be alright for moving baits. But if jigs, Tex-rigged plastics, or C-rigs are your thing then I would recommend a more sensitive rod.

The combo came in today, and it turns out the rod is a two piece - 5'6" MF.  It's a little short for me, but I'm thinking I'll give it an outing or two with some lipless cranks before I decide anything.

I did spool up the reel and got some yard practice in this afternoon, and so far I think I'm definitely going to like the reel.