Sign in to follow this  
Bassfisherman94

spooling line

Hey guys I have had a problem with spooling my spinning reel up with flouro or mono and ending up with a bunch of twist, I usually thread the line through the biggest guide and set that guide close to the spool of line and start spooling. Any better ways to do it with out line twist?? Thanks!

Either put the line spool on a shaft with the line coming off the bottom, or lie the line spool flat on the floor and make sure the coils are coming off in the same direction it is going on the reel. If the line is twisting, flip the spool over.

Either put the line spool on a shaft with the line coming off the bottom, or lie the line spool flat on the floor and make sure the coils are coming off in the same direction it is going on the reel. If the line is twisting, flip the spool over.

Weird, I've always been told have the line coming off the top of the spool?

I've read about and tried a half a dozen ways to put line on a spinning reel.  All of them kind of work, but I've had problems with line twist from time to time.

I think some reels are just line eaters.  I haven't  had that issue much with Shimano or Diawa reels, but I had a Ryobi and a Mitchell years ago that had an appetite for line, those reels had to be retired.  I couldn't even give them away to anyone because I would have felt bad.

What works the best for me (these days I have Diawa, Shimano, & US Reels that I frequently use) is once I get the line on the reel and I'm out on the water, I'm putting around and let all the line off the spool and drag it behind the boat for30 or 40 seconds.  (After all the line is out)   Then I tighten the drag all the way down and reel it back on to the spool.  This seems to work the best for me.  Once you've respooled, reset the drag to what you'd normally use.

Over the course of 40 years experience, I've learned that some reels induce twist and there was nothing I could do except stop using them. It didn't matter what line I used, what spooling method or anything else, these reels had unacceptable twist that other reels didn't, even using the same size reels, same line, same lures, same casting and retrieving techniques, etc.

I've read about and tried a half a dozen ways to put line on a spinning reel. All of them kind of work, but I've had problems with line twist from time to time.

I think some reels are just line eaters. I haven't had that issue much with Shimano or Diawa reels, but I had a Ryobi and a Mitchell years ago that had an appetite for line, those reels had to be retired. I couldn't even give them away to anyone because I would have felt bad.

What works the best for me (these days I have Diawa, Shimano, & US Reels that I frequently use) is once I get the line on the reel and I'm out on the water, I'm putting around and let all the line off the spool and drag it behind the boat for30 or 40 seconds. (After all the line is out) Then I tighten the drag all the way down and reel it back on to the spool. This seems to work the best for me. Once you've respooled, reset the drag to what you'd normally use.

Why would you tighten the drag all the way?

I have a Saros F 2500 and have some problems. I recently put Fireline Crystal braid on and will give that a try.

Thanks,

Scott.