Sign in to follow this  
new2BC4bass

Would this make a decent plastics rod?

Looking for a decent plastics rod for my daughter. Not fishing in sticks or heavy weeds, but plenty of rocks. LOL. She's getting a baitcasting reel given to her, now I need to buy the rod. Money is tight right now having already outfitted myself this year with several outfits and Christmas on the horizon.

Falcon Original FC-6-166-MH 6'6" 12-25LB Asking price is $40. In good condition.

She likes to fish Senkos and worms. Berkley Lightning was also suggested for about the same price new. I also found a FC-5-166 for the same price that the seller said is MH. Doesn't the 5 and 6 refer to the power of the rod? What would be the difference between these 2 Falcon rods?

I'm leaning towards one of the used Falcons since I have a couple of their Expert rods and like them. If none of these would be satisfactory, then I may wait awhile. Let her use one of my rods for the time being. Thanks.

It's not ideal but it should work fairly well. And at $40 it's a no brainer.

The engineers at falcon thought it was good enough to name it the Worm N Classic.

But there again what do they know about rods? ;)

Falcons are pretty good rods and $40 is a great deal, but you may also wanna try the St. Croix Triumph in that same range, just food for thought.

The engineers at falcon thought it was good enough to name it the Worm N Classic.

But there again what do they know about rods? :)

Sorry. I didn't know they named it the Worm N Classic. Still don't know the difference between 5 and 6 in the model numbers. I PM'ed the first seller this morning. Quite often people do not update their ads. It can be a crap shoot on older ads.

I like my Falcons, and would like to have an Original of my own to try. Will have to wait unless I can talk my wife into getting me the other one for Christmas. ;) ;D

Bass Pro has their extreme rods on sale right now and you get a free rod sock and a free hard case for it. I would get her a 6'6 medium and be done with it. I'd actually take it over that falcon.

FC-5-166 - The Herm is Falcon's #1 selling rod, excellent entry level rod

I'm not 100% positive on the 5-6-7 but I think you are right it has to do with power

Of the two I would select the Worm N Classic since it is better suited for its intended propose where as the Herm is an all propose rod.

But there again what do they know about rods? ;)

The engineers at Falcon also named a 6'7" MHXF 10-20# line rod the "Weightless Worm Special".

I guess what I was trying to say was that the Falcon Original rod might have a little more backbone than is necessary for plain old worms and senkos.

I use a medium action for all my plastics unless I am fishing really heavy cover. I like the medium 6'6 rods for this purpose because a lot of them have great feel (even my Daiwa Procaster I picked up for 40 bucks). Since it is for your daughter, she may not be as attentive to watching the line as a more experienced angler. The more sensitive rod will give her more chances to feel that light bite and allow here to catch more fish.

This is just my opinion, but I have had phenomenal success with plastics and medium action rods, just have to play those bigger ladies correctly.