Sign in to follow this  
flippin and pitchin

Handle preferences

If you have purchased or are thinking of purchasing a rod, what grip system do you or would you choose?  Some opinions may change from cast to spinning or lighter to heavier applications.  I'm curious so please comment.  Thanks !

I prefer no fore grip.  I have all split grips but I wouldnt hesitate to buy a full grip/no foregrip rod.

Really, I could care less about full/split and foregrip/no foregrip.

But on the looks side if it, I think the split grip/ no foregrip combo looks the best. Plus when I use them it makes me feel trendy and cool  8-) lol

Split grip, no foregrip is a win-win.  Even though I am trying to ween myself off of them, I think I still might prefer full cork from a comfort standpoint, but there is weight savings with the split grip and that improves performance of the rod.  Also, the rod companies save money on cork and can pass those savings on, which is getting harder to come by in any really high quality grades.  I think this is one aspect we are seeing so many really good rods around $100.

In my mind, full blown split grips are a marketing thing and do NOTHING for balance. Thats right, NOTHING. They reduce weight, but do not improve balance. Using just in front of the reel as the "fulcrum", you take more or less the same amount of weight off one side as the other by eliminating the fore grip and also eliminating most of the rear grip. So what I like is to remove the fore grip and leave a full rear grip, taking off some weight while IMPROVING balance. Anyways, a balanced, heavy rod feel lighter than a light, unbalanced rod. And I like my balance point closer to the butt than most like.

Anything with no foregrip for me.

I prefer split grips, no fore-grip, but I can pretty much fish with anything and have over the years. My first fishing rod was a 6 - 7 ft. limb cut from the woods near the lake. My first store bought rod was as limber as spaghetti and probably weighed a pound. Believe me, fishing technology has come a long way in my lifetime and I appreciate all of it.

Bob

I prefer split grip w/ no fore grip but I really like fore grips that cover the locking mechanism like the Fuji Quick Lock

The Zillion has one of my favorites

DZLC-3.jpg

I can deal with any of them, as long as they're cork. ;)