Sign in to follow this  
bryand82487

Swimbiat rod comparison

I'm looking at getting my first swimbait rod setup and I'm looking at the Dobyns 795 and Loomis 955.  I'll be throwing 1.5-4 oz baits mostly and will be paring it with a Curado 300E.  I've looked at the Okuma also but kind of want a higher end rod so I was leaning away from it.  Has any body used one or all of these rods that could tell me there thoughts?  Also I'm open to other rod suggestions as well.  Thanks

What baits are you looking at throwing on the rods?  Any idea on sizes and weights, or maybe your favorite baits you're looking into?

I'll probably try the Mattlures Hard bluegill and the Spro BBZ out first.  4oz is probably the heaviest I would use.

The Dobyns 795 would perform much better with those baits.  Plus, you'd be able to have some growing room if you decide to go to larger baits. 

The Dobyns gives you many more options and will even cast lighter baits very well.

Hope this helps!

Definitely the Dobyns 795. I have one paired with a Curado 300E and love it. I throw 1/2oz swim jigs, up to 4oz baits with it when needed. I prefer the SBMT model with the shorter handle, but that's a preference thing.

Get the higher end rod, the Okumas feel considerably heavier. When tossing a heavy bait, make it easy on yourself with at least using a light rod!

Definitely the Dobyns 795. I have one paired with a Curado 300E and love it. I throw 1/2oz swim jigs, up to 4oz baits with it when needed. I prefer the SBMT model with the shorter handle, but that's a preference thing.

Get the higher end rod, the Okumas feel considerably heavier. When tossing a heavy bait, make it easy on yourself with at least using a light rod!

Is either handle longer than one on most regular fishing rods? 

Is either handle longer than one on most regular fishing rods?

The SBMT was designed with a shorter then "normal" handle to keep it from getting in the way when walking top water baits and such. I also like it cause it allows for easy pitching of baits.

The Mike Long model was designed with a longer than normal handle. Some guys like this for better leverage when casting, reeling, and the ability to fit it under your arm easier.

It's hard to say compared to a "normal" rod though as all companies differ slightly in handle lengths. Check Tackle Warehouse as they have the exact lengths listed, and you can go measure rods you already have to figure out which you would prefer.

Out of the 2 rods mentioned I'd go for the Loomis.  I'm familiar with both rods and simply like the feel of the Loomis better.

I may also add, I'm not sponsored by either brand so my opinion is unbiased.  ;)

The 955 is an awesome stick. I wouldnt even think about a dobyns if the Loomis is an option.