Sign in to follow this  
SirSnookalot

Line lays heavy on bottom of spinning reel

Too much line loads on bottom my second spool ( spinning, first spool is perfect).  No spacers to remove, I added a couple of spaces but no change.

Adding spacers would shift the load to the bottom. 

I know, I was just reaching.  Could be a bad spool, I have a new one coming.  I have had this problem before, it's not brand related, 2 shimanos, 1 pflueger and 1 abu.

SirSnook, I've experienced the same problem with a couple of different reels.

Solved it by removing the springs/ratchet assembly from the bottom of the spool. All that stuff does is make a clicking sound when the drag is slipping. Who needs a clicking drag anyway?

Don't know if it will work on yours, but it may be worth a look.

Thanks .Ghoti

Willing to bet it's the spool, just does lay in quite deep enough.

More likely its a worn/broken bail arm.  I've seen this quite a bit, even on newer reels.  It causes the line guide to rest lower than it should.

First thing I thought when I read the thread title was spacers.  Since you said thats not the problem, I'd say the spool may have a defect.  If not, Francho probably hit the nail on the head with the bail arm.

.Ghoti, it worked about 90% success, just a slight tapering now, not too bad..........thanks

My primary spool is  perfect.

I've had this problem a few times before on other reels, a different spool was the cure. I have another one coming so I'll see how that spool fares.

.Ghoti, it worked about 90% success, just a slight tapering now, not too bad..........thanks

My primary spool is perfect.

I've had this problem a few times before on other reels, a different spool was the cure. I have another one coming so I'll see how that spool fares.

Interesting I have a White Stradic that has always done that. Not serious just slightly. One spool was better then the other. It spooled fine but after use it appeared to be worse. I will have to try this.

Something to check,the line guide roller(groove)on bail assembly should be close to the bail itself not towards the bail arm.If you were cleaning/oiling it,I can see how it might be upside down?G/L

I'm pretty much convinced that spare spools are mostly seconds.

They give you one good spool, and throw in one that didn't pass QC to make you think you're getting something.

My problem is solved due largely to .ghoti's advice.  I did receive a brand new spool, not a second, and spooled it up the other day, near perfection and I'm happy.