Sign in to follow this  
I.rar

swapping line?

i just got some new braid in to try on one of my reels. its currently spooled with another type that is still pretty new (and not cheap) so i dont want to throw it away. i dont have a spare spool for this reel either.

should i just wrap it up on the spool it came from? what would you guys do in this situation?

Do you have a spare spool for another reel?  If so just load up that empty for storage.

I put an empty paper towel or tp core over the chuck on my drill.  It fits snuggly, but if not you can tape it on there with masking tape. 

Then tape or tie the end of the line on the core. Open bail/press thumbar but provide some tension on the line so you don't have an over run.  On a baitcaster just tighten down the tension knob a bit.

Run the drill slowly.  It will spool the line on to the core.  Then you can just store the core/line and respool it on another reel whenever you want.

Be careful just to run the line back and forth over the core evenly as you wind it on with the drill.  Its best to use a drill that has a slow/variable speed capability.  ;)

I put an empty paper towel or tp core over the chuck on my drill. It fits snuggly, but if not you can tape it on there with masking tape.

Then tape or tie the end of the line on the core. Open bail/press thumbar but provide some tension on the line so you don't have an over run. On a baitcaster just tighten down the tension knob a bit.

Run the drill slowly. It will spool the line on to the core. Then you can just store the core/line and respool it on another reel whenever you want.

Be careful just to run the line back and forth over the core evenly as you wind it on with the drill. Its best to use a drill that has a slow/variable speed capability. ;)

Exactly what I do.  Works great.  Just be careful as you get to the bottom of the spool.  If you tied it on really well, you can jerk your reel around pretty badly.

The most obvious solution would be to buy another reel.  Then buy a couple more reels so that you're instantly ready should this situation happen again.  I'm glad I could help solve this problem.

The most obvious solution would be to buy another reel. Then buy a couple more reels so that you're instantly ready should this situation happen again. I'm glad I could help solve this problem.

Then repeat until you have a reel for every brand, type, and lb. test of line  ;)