Sign in to follow this  
Nitro 882

Rod/reel Storage

I live in the Northeast and I hate to give up for the winter.

I winterize my boat but as soon as the temperature approaches 40 degrees, I'm goin fishin'.

I have 16 rod/reel outfits in the locker and ,of course, a bunch of tackle bags and 3710's full of stuff I may need some day, but so far haven't, and it's a pain in the butt moving this gear back and forth throughout the winter.

What do you guys think about just leaving my gear in the storage compartments of my boat instead of moving it into my unheated garage for the winter?

The greatest enemy of all your gear is moisture. Temperature is not such a big deal unless it is extreme -0. I would do my best to keep stuff dry. JMHO.

Ronnie

I always take all reels off of their rods, strip off the old line, and then stored inside.  Unless of course they get sent in for repair.  Rods all come into the house and put into rod racks for storage.  I like to look them over to see if any need to be retired/replaced during the off season.  All electronics and tackle boxes come inside as well.

About the only thing left in my boat is my net and mothballs.

Rods are stored in a vertical rack, reels in cloth bags (or an old sock) in an unheated storage building. Same with tackle boxes.

Any electronic devices are brought in the house and, if applicable, batteries removed.

Tom

I always take all reels off of their rods, strip off the old line, and then stored inside. Unless of course they get sent in for repair. Rods all come into the house and put into rod racks for storage. I like to look them over to see if any need to be retired/replaced during the off season. All electronics and tackle boxes come inside as well.

About the only thing left in my boat is my net and mothballs.

I dont winterize cause I fish year round. However I do this every october when all my tournament obligations are done for the year. I also inventory all my gear and place orders to replace all the items Im low on.

I live in the Northeast and I hate to give up for the winter.

I winterize my boat but as soon as the temperature approaches 40 degrees, I'm goin fishin'.

I have 16 rod/reel outfits in the locker and ,of course, a bunch of tackle bags and 3710's full of stuff I may need some day, but so far haven't, and it's a pain in the butt moving this gear back and forth throughout the winter.

What do you guys think about just leaving my gear in the storage compartments of my boat instead of moving it into my unheated garage for the winter?

Personally I think that is a bad idea.

When it gets cold I bring all my tackle and rods inside.  I use the down time to clean and organize my tackle box.  I also peform any maintanence needed on my reels and rods.