Sign in to follow this  
walleye_jig

Fenwick - how many million modulus (HMX, HMG, EliteTECH)

Hello everybody,

I am new here. I follow this forum from about 4 months and I think is one of best for me that's why I want to posed here my question which is about Fenwick..

I've tried to find in google some information about how many million modulus their graphite blanks are.

I cannot find any information about HMX, HMG abd Elite TECH Walleye jigging.

I will be grateful if someone can inform me about it.

Thanks

State-of-the-art Carbon Veil technology in the world's original graphite rod. The classic, comfortable rods Fenwick® is famous for. When designing the HMG® series, we took a unique approach. Instead of building it action-specific, it's application-specific. The correct action for the proper application. With more than 30 models, you'll find everything from slow to fast actions tailored to their proper use. Exclusive Carbon Veil technology produces a 100 percent high-modulus graphite blank that's lightweight and sensitive. Includes Fuji Hardloy® guides and Fuji reel seats.

That comes from the site. I cant find any specifics on their web site. However Ive fished fenwick for many years. I never fished an Elite Tech, but I do have the previous version of the rod. Ive always found them to be of good quality, very durable and dependable rods. They are easy to deal with on warranty issues. Id assume they are comparable to the other Pure Fishing lines of rods. All Star, Abu Garcia, Pflueger.

Thank you both for your reply.

I have one Elite Tech Jigging spinning and one HMG model. They are great for me.

I know information from the website.

The only thing I am wondering is a # of million modulus for their series.. You can find that information in almost each other brand, but not as regards this one.

I thought I will compare that specifications (# modulus) to other rods like st.croix, g-loomis or shimano but it seems it is impossible.   

Keep in mind that modulus alone does not make a rod better than another. Also IM7 is a rating assigned by the manufacturer and there is no industry standard for what makes an IM6, IM7....

I thought I will compare that specifications (# modulus) to other rods like st.croix, g-loomis or shimano but it seems it is impossible.

Most of my rods are HMGs.  I have one Elite Tech - a 7'2" Crankshaft cranking rod. 

As far as modulus, I have no idea.  But I've had the opportunity to fish a HMG 6'6" MH/F and a HMG 7' M/F next to a St. Croix Avid 6'6" MH/F and an Avid 7' M/F and can say as far as weight and sensitivity, I could not really tell them apart.  At the time, the Avid had better guides (alconite on the Avid versus Hardloy on the HMG) but new HMGs now have alconite guides as well.

Thanks for all information.

I thought that IM6, IM7, IM8, etc are standard rating in rod manufacturers. I thought that IM7 in brand "x" is not different than IM7 in other brand "y" and have same modulus #..

HMG for example is made in Carbon Veil technology - different fiber structure. I do not know but maybe in this structure cannot count number of modulus.. Maybe that's why there is not any information about it.

Unfortunately there are no industry standards for modulus rating, power, action, line or lure wt recommendations. Custom builders are using the CCS system to measure rod characteristics and build a database, mostly for fly rods though.

It's kind of like contrast ratios in HDTV's.  Each manufacturer rates them different based on they're own specifications.  The only way to tell is to go into a store and have a look yourself.  The same holds true for a fishing rod.  Find a friend or a store that has one and play with it for a while.

From my understanding, the IM rating is simply a manufacturer's designation for the fiber used in construction of the blank. In the case of "IM" this is the designation used by by the Hexcel corporation for their formulation of graphite fiber. This "IM" designation has become an accepted "baseline" for comparing against other rod materials because it is so common.

I think the issue that many people have is they are confusing the IM rating of the graphite fiber (the fiber has it's own inherent modulus) with the stiffness of the rod.  Many factors besides IM rating go into the rods' relative stiffness (thickness, weight, taper, pre preg used, etc...). Therefore, two different rods with the same IM designation can have drastically different physical characteristics.