Sign in to follow this  
rowyourboat

flippin/pitchin reel

High speed reel, 7.1 or faster

Good drag system

These along with being well built with a aluminum frame, gears etc. Flippin and pitchin are gonna be the hardest techniques on your equipment so you have to make sure your equipment is beefy enough to handle it. :)

High speed reel, 7.1 or faster

Good drag system

These along with being well built with a aluminum frame, gears etc. Flippin and pitchin are gonna be the hardest techniques on your equipment so you have to make sure your equipment is beefy enough to handle it. :)

Look into a chronarch...A little expensive, but it is worth it.

I've been looking at the Ardent F700 or F500.They seem pretty rugged and they're made in the U.S.A.

Im using the Revo's for everything, but flipping was the reason I changed to begin with. The drag is second to none. For what its worth I used to use Curado's and Chronarch's and they dont compare. Drag slipping issue's are no longer a problem with the Revo. Even the Revo S is a great reel and very reasonable in price.

IN addition to high speed, smooth/strong drag, build quality mentioned above, overall lightweight and a quick spool start up (helps pitching lightrer baits).

I have revos, bps, etc, etc. And a tuned E7 is just about perfect for what I want in a flip/pitch reel. The light weight and palmabilty are big pluses.Factor in price and its very tough to beat.

I agree with most of what's posted here....aluminum frame, fast retrieve, good drag, flippin switch (i.e. one-handed engagement of the spool).

The Ardent F-700 meets all those criteria, as does the Quantum Accurist PT.  The Diawa Viento seems like a good choice also...I haven't used one, but the twitchin bar seems pretty neat. Being able to do a one handed retrieve could be very useful at times....

At this moment, I have LH Revo STX 7.1:1. Like others have mentioned, you can't beat the +20# drag. I use LH reels all the time. I know a lot of RH pro's switch to LH reels when they flip to minimize errors in hand-to-hand combat. The Revos are versatile and I find myself switching reels with rods, looking for that perfect combination or to match a techniuqe.

Looking at the specs, Ardents are a close second. If Ardent offered LH versions, I would buy one. The only down/upside is it is a dedicated flippin reel by design.   

Im using the Revo's for everything, but flipping was the reason I changed to begin with. The drag is second to none. For what its worth I used to use Curado's and Chronarch's and they dont compare. Drag slipping issue's are no longer a problem with the Revo. Even the Revo S is a great reel and very reasonable in price.

Never had a problem with my drag slippin, but I don't flip anything close to what you Californians do. I also have a Revo SX and ABSOLUTELY love it....I dont want to say it, but its probably the smoothest reel Ive ever used, and im a Shimano guy :-/

what do you look for in a flippin/pitchin reel? any recommendations?

Looks like this:

TD-X103HSDL

861889571_XLNBE-L.jpg