Sign in to follow this  
jaymc

Random ravings on a cold winter night

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Largemouth fishing in northern natural lakes is a whole different deal then the impondment fishing that we see mostly see on TV. To me LMB fishing in the northeast and upper midwest is dealing with the grass and slop. Yeah, you find wood here and there, but mainly it's grass fishing.

In terms of terminal tackle it is amazing how little is really NEW. I caught my first bass on a Lucky 13 over 50 years ago. Creme worms were just coming out then. What made me think about was that I see someone is bringing back a swim bait, the Vivif, from that long ago era.

For a walk down memory lane, I grew up and lived most of my life about fifteen minutes from where the pros launched on Oneida Lake at the Oneida Shores county park. Back in the day, the 50's and 60's, almost no one fished deliberately for largemouths on Oneida. I bet you could put all the Oneida L. largemouth fisherman of that era in a minibus. People fished for walleyes, pike, yellow perch and even smallies, but not bigmouths. Heck, even the brown bullhead was more popular. It was paradise. Our favorite spot is now the most beat to death community hole on the lake. We never ever saw anyone else fish it for 15 years. Can you say paradise? Iwas so young I thoght the whole world was like that.

Thanks for listening.

Wow....a Vivif! LOL! Ole' Herter's Inc.. That George was quite the visionary! I also caught my first LM (on an artificial lure) on a Lucky 13, which my dad bought for me as a Christmas present back in '61. (Still have it too!) Up until that time I only used nightcrawlers or worms to fish with. Times have certainly changed indeed!

I'll be 65 next month and still love to try out everything new that comes down the pike. I don't have a lot of expensive equipment, but I'm no slouch when it come to catching fish. It's amazing what you can make "do with", when you have to. :)

I dearly love the outdoors!

jay.....

Not ranting at all. I have spoken with many New Englanders and I find that most of the "info" in the books, magazines, on-line articles is tempered for the South. Why not?? You can fish there all year. (lucky stiffs!!) I also find that the lures sold up here, for the most part, don't look like much of the forage we have up here, and the lures that do go quick. Given that "bass fishing is bass fishing" in general, I also find that a shorter fishing season tends to make the northern guys more versatile. A week of 70*+ days followed by five days of 40*- nights stirs things up a bit!! If you are not versatile...stay home!!! I feel for the Florida guys....."a cold front came through and the fish just shut down!!" Try living in new England!!!! :)

Now there's a rant!!!!! ;D

When I lived in Maine in the early 70's the people up there did not fish for Bass. They treated anyone who did, like Carp fishermen.

The Big Dogs fished with huge cannon Ball down riggers for lake trout and salmon.

I had to hide my sunnies, or they would cut my tires. LOL

I feel for the Florida guys....."a cold front came through and the fish just shut down!!" Try living in new England!!!! :)

Now there's a rant!!!!! ;D

LOL, I always laugh when I hear that.

Wow....a Vivif! LOL! Ole' Herter's Inc.. That George was quite the visionary! I also caught my first LM (on an artificial lure) on a Lucky 13, which my dad bought for me as a Christmas present back in '61. (Still have it too!) Up until that time I only used nightcrawlers or worms to fish with. Times have certainly changed indeed!

I'll be 65 next month and still love to try out everything new that comes down the pike. I don't have a lot of expensive equipment, but I'm no slouch when it come to catching fish. It's amazing what you can make "do with", when you have to. :)

I dearly love the outdoors!

Man, I miss the Herter's catalog!  You could read that bad boy all winter.   

There was a sporting good store I used to frequent when I was a kid.  The had a little clear plastic fish bowl with an electric motor in the middle . The motor ade an arm circle the bowl, and the arm was dragging a Vivif.  I was sold.  It took me weeks to save up to buy one. 

I'll be 64 next month.  Always like to hear from you old guys.