Sign in to follow this  
sofakingbigbass

Candlewood Lake CT

I have an early June tournament there - I've never fished this body of water and plan on a few pre fishing trips down - any areas that would produce a big bag at that time? any pattern suggestions? go for largies or smallies? I'm willing to trade Champlain or Mass info for help at Candlewood. Any help would be appreciated and if you'd rather PM me thats cool too

sounds like spawn to me.  try the smallest, shallowest coves if the wtr temp is still cool.  That whole lake is loaded with fish.  A big bag can come from anywhere.  If you prefish, just find an area that looks good for spawn or prespawn.  basically pick a cove and dissect it.  there are big areas choked up with milfoil in the summer so it should be emerging nicely in June.  That stuff even grows in 17' water in the big coves.   theres usually a few feet visibility--like average clarity for CT.   That lake also has lots of points big and small that run deep into 30'.  the other cool thing is the big humps that are 20-30' in 50' water.  not sure thats the best pattern in June, but Aug through the fall works well for smallmouth dropshotting if you find some bait balls on the humps.

good luck

I don't know the lake well enough yet to give advise but found Live Earth to be very helpful for Candlewood. The satellite shots were taken during draw down so give you a good view of the bottom and likely spawn areas and shallow cover.

one more thing I thought of.  Because it is a big lake the water temp varies alot in the coves vs. the main lake.  So they will be spawning somewhere.  if its a cold spring goto the small shallow which warm first for largemouth.  If its a warm spring and the coves are done spawning, stay on the main lake for smallies or bigger coves.

If its post spawn hit the points with deep cranks and dropshots.

If all else fails rattletrap the emerging grassy flats in the coves in.  Just so you know there are alot of smallmouth in the larger coves too.  If the smallmouth are spawning don't get stuck on one fish that won't bite unless its huge.  Cover lots of water and search for CTs finest.