Sign in to follow this  
Chris at Tech

What's left in ATL area?

Which smaller lakes are still fishable in the ATL area?  I fish the electric-only lakes with my boat, and here's what I know

Varner -- ramp just closed

Sweetwater Creek -- ramp's been closed since June.  Darn near empty

JW Smith/Blalock -- close for the season (it always closes Nov - March)

Stn Mountain -- open and fishable

Lake Acworth -- I've heard it's open and fishable

Kedron -- heard it's closed

Black Shoals -- ???

Charlie Elliot -- ???

Anyone have any bright ideas?  I may fill my tub up just to wet a line :)

I confirmed today that Acworth is at full pool. Most likely where I will be this weekend.

Hey Chris, there is a really great place downtown. The water level is always full and the fish are huge.

One caution though, the folks at the Atlanta Acquarium get a little fussy if you don't practice catch and release. :)

Fort Yargo is still open, as is Tribble Mill.    Oh, and those of us salivating about Bear Creek getting a boat ramp, so it could be fished...   Well, the lake is almost gone.  DNR says they will have to start over and restock once the lake fills back up.   :'( :'( :'(

I confirmed today that Acworth is at full pool. Most likely where I will be this weekend.

Went out there on Sat and froze my hind parts off.  Cruised around for a while to the left of the ramp and we found no depth, no structure, no dying rass, and most importantly, no fish.  However I did run into stump full bore and popped my transom mount motor up :)

When we finally went towards the rip rap, that's when the cold set in and we called it a day.  Figures, as that's where I finally found some structure.

Went out there on Sat and froze my hind parts off. Cruised around for a while to the left of the ramp and we found no depth, no structure, no dying rass, and most importantly, no fish. However I did run into stump full bore and popped my transom mount motor up :)

When we finally went towards the rip rap, that's when the cold set in and we called it a day. Figures, as that's where I finally found some structure.

I was out there Saturday for about four hours freezing as well. Took about an hour to thaw my hands out after we finished but we had fun. My buddy eight year old Jake had a great day despite the cold and wind. He got about ten fish with a couple of good ones on jighead with a trickworm. Here is his pic with his dad holding some of his fish and him with his biggest fish of the day. I caught a couple and his dad caught a few as well. The lake is really almost like one big shallow flat and hard to find very many big depth changes in it. Alot of the better structure is in the deeper half of the lake toward the dam.

post-3431-130162939928_thumb.jpg

Went out there on Sat and froze my hind parts off.  Cruised around for a while to the left of the ramp and we found no depth, no structure, no dying rass, and most importantly, no fish.  However I did run into stump full bore and popped my transom mount motor up :)

When we finally went towards the rip rap, that's when the cold set in and we called it a day.  Figures, as that's where I finally found some structure.

I was out there Saturday for about four hours freezing as well. Took about an hour to thaw my hands out after we finished but we had fun. My buddy eight year old Jake had a great day despite the cold and wind. He got about ten fish with a couple of good ones on jighead with a trickworm. Here is his pic with his dad holding some of his fish and him with his biggest fish of the day. I caught a couple and his dad caught a few as well. The lake is really almost like one big shallow flat and hard to find very many big depth changes in it. Alot of the better structure is in the deeper half of the lake toward the dam.

Showoff :)

I drove by Kedron the other day and it is crazy low. I havent been able to get my boat in there since july. The same goes for lake horton. I went by there last saturday both ramps are closed and it is very low. I might have to go take some pictures though now that you can see the submerged treetops. Lake Peachtree is at full pool but you have to be a PTC resident and it isnt a very good lake. I havent taken my boat out since early august and it is driving me crazy.  >:)