Sign in to follow this  
tightwad

Looking for a Florida Lake Near Cocoa

I'm heading south from WVa in two weeks and I was looking for a lake or two near Cocoa (One hour east of Orlando) to do some C&R fishing. I'll be taking a bass boat to fish from. Any suggestions on where we can go to without feeding the gas industry too much?

I am surprised no one has answered yet.  That's not my side of Florida, but I can recommend a few things to check into.

Lake Poinsett.

From Cocoa Beach you can head 15 miles inland on 520 to a river crossing with a fish camp and ramp.  1 mile south on that river is lake poinsett.  Disclaimer, I know nothing about this place.  I have only looked on Google earth and found it interesting.

Lake Washington

15 miles south on 95. Exit Eau Galley and backtrack north 2 miles then west 2 miles.  Again I haven't fished it, but it looks real nice.

Stick Marsh Farm 13

Another 25 miles south on 95 exit Fellsmere. West 3 miles. Stop in at the bait and tackle and ask questions and buy something.  If you haven't heard of this place yet, do a Google search?  This is a dream spot for many people.  Do not run on plane until you have talked to some locals about it.  The name stick marsh is very fitting and there are tree stumps underwater everywhere.

Some one more knowledgeable may be by soon to tell you more.

::)

Welcome aboard!

WELCOME to the forums!!! Down there last June for daughter's wedding. Didn't know anyone with a boat :(. Would sure liked to have tried Stick Marsh or 1 of the others mentioned...

As Ever,

skillet

What surfer said is good . I usually bass fish small retention ponds while I am waiting on gators to come out. Its a good time of year here the bass are starting to spawn

Welcome to the forum.  They are having 100+ bass days on the Stickmarsh/Farm 13 these days.  You have got to go.  PM George Welcome, he is  a guide on the Farm.

Just north or Cocoa in Titusville there are 2 good bass lakes South Lake and Fox lake . I was on Fox lake today and saw some bass hitting topwater .

A very big THANK YOU to those who answered and those who read but were unable to help. Hopefully I'll catch a few while I'm down there.

But the biggest problem is there are TOO many places to fish in Florida. How in the world do you pick one out.

I went to Fox lake this morning you can see some of the lake in the background in this picture. It full of lillypads grass and trees . Bass were hitting everywhere but I was busy working .

There is a boat ramp at the park you can launch a boat. I dont recommend swimming there though .

I saw a guy water skiing right at the park where I caught this guy this morning

fa95dt.jpg

Here is a better picture of Fox lake I took this morning while checking baits. A hawk flew up and landed on the sign beside me.

To the left and at the back in this picture are acres of lillypads full of bass and around the bend is a canal which connects to South Lake. There are also nice Crappie in there too.

I saw some spawning activity going on there too

2drbdk3.jpg

But the biggest problem is there are TOO many places to fish in Florida. How in the world do you pick one out.

there are more than 100 lakes wihtin 1.5 hours of my house.  I keep trying new lakes and havent learned any of them well yet.  ;D

Look on google earth and most of Cocoa is lakes/ponds with houses built on the dry spots. All the ponds and lakes interconnect with culverts and canals . Its h*ll trying to get gators sometimes . Especially on the golf courses and developments because they can switch to a new pond every day.

I just try to match the pond to the weather . I fish shallower ponds this time of year because they warm faster. Then later in the summer fish the deeper lakes.

Another Fox Lake Gator..I caught the 2/12 gators  brother this morning 9 ft 1 in . I didnt mess his head up as much this time ;D I still havent gotten the big one from that lake yet

ftlxfd.jpg

dbij6d.jpg