Sign in to follow this  
BUCKEYEone

SC bass lakes

Well the grandparents retirement house in Charleston (summerville) is finished and they will be moving soon...sounds like a good reason for me to head to SC to do some bassin.  What lakes close to that area are good?  Thanks folks!

Santee Cooper (Lakes Marion & Moultrie), acess is limited from the drought however weve been getting some rain and lake levels are rising. If you can get on the water the fishing has been good. Try the east branch of the Cooper  as well. It is a tidal river which can take some getting used to, but I've had some really good mornings on a falling tide fishing the outside of the old rice fields. Good Luck.

From Summerville you are only 20 miles or so from Santee-Cooper and about the same to the Cooper River. Great fishing for many types of fish. Hugh Crappie, catfish, shellcracker and bass. The river takes some time to get used to but can be a lot of fun and a good place to fish when the wind is blowing to heavy to fish the lakes.

A word of caution- These lakes can get very, very rough in a hurry if a storm is approaching or the wind picks up. By awear or the weather. Also, these lakes are very shallow in many places with very hard stumps. Get a map or gps and be careful.

BTW- My personal best, 11lb 7oz came from the Cooper River.....Al