Sign in to follow this  
SimonSays

Pony Pastures and Pocahontas state park report

Went to Pocahontas on Monday when it was unseasonably warm

Air temps were in the high 60's low 70's.  The water surface temp started off at 45 and slowly went up to about 51 through the day.  

Started off in the AM with aBlue/black jig, no hits.  My local walmart (Short pump) started selling the Lake Fork Magic shads (like the imakatus ones) So I gave the dark green one a shot (watermelon?) It has insane action, I got one bite on that but my drag was poorly set and I couldn't get enough power on the hookset.  Lost the Magic Shad after a few more casts to a snag.  

I tried Mattlures minnows after that, it didn't have anywhere near the swimming action as the Magic shad (Tight swimming action at high speeds for the minnow vs wide tail swimming action at low speeds for the shad).  Didn't get a hit on the minnow so I switched to the faithful Swim senko, watermelon with red flakes, got a hit on a submerged tree trunk in about 8ft of water, turned out to be a dink (6oz) but it was my first LMB of the year! Went home after that.

On weds went to pony pastures, tossed 2in white grubs behind rocks and into eddies.  I've heard they hold tight to rock in winter so I tried casting as tight as I could behind those rocks but no luck.  Went up and down the river working a slate/blue flake dual tail grub also, again with no luck.

Need more fish!

=D

What's the water level and water temps at Pony Pasture?  Were you wading?

Water level was above 5 ft, even though the signs said it was below 5ft with no restrictions, and the water temps were pretty cold I'd say around 40's also, so wading was out.  Waders not recommended here.

Thanks.  

How do you fish it when water level is 5ft?  From shore or the accessible exposed rocks?

I like fishing there, but have only been a few times, when the water was around 3.5 feet.  

Yep from shore walking along the path and jumping onto the larger rocks, targeting the eddies right behind any submerged or exposed rock.  I had alot of luck doing that during the summer.  Later in the summer I started wading into the waters but, I only caught one that was of decent size but I had to wade across the river to the dam that hidden by trees in the back.  Alot of small smbs here pretty fun with some UL gear =D