Sign in to follow this  
bunchdouglas

anyone ever fish lake brittle near warrenton?

Hey guys.  I'm not the most experienced bass fisherman in the world.  Grew up in southern California fishing for trout in a lake i recently learned has produced the numbers 10 and 13 largest largemouths in the US, *Kicks himself*.

Lived in Texas briefly and had some pretty good luck with bass there, but not here.  NOVA.  Hit Burke a couple years ago; nothing.  Hit Fountainhead last Saturday; nothing.  VERY curious about Brittle...

Brittle is only about 10 minutes from my house, and I have lots of time to go there if it's any good.  I know it has pretty good Walleye fishing, but that's all I know.

Does anyone have any input on this small lake?

Only fished it once this March.  The water level is VERY LOW right now.  If you fish from shore I would not use crankbaits other than surface lures.  I lost a couple.  The water all around is very shallow.  The dam is fairly deep and probably your best bet, but with the warmer weather coming I don't know how much you will catch there.  I got skunked as did my father who came with me, we spent 4 hours there and walked from the parking lot all the way clear across to the opposite end of the lake and then some.

If you want good crappie action and shad action the older guys there were tearing it up on bobber rigs rigged with minnows, and other crappie type lures.  My dad foul hooked one with a rat l trap so they were striking pretty aggressive that day.  We saw one older guy pull in a shad over a lb.

I would get a boat or rent one if they have rentals (I forget whether or not they do).  You probably need to be further out from shore to catch em' or wait for the water to come up some if you wanna be able to use a wide range of baits.

We even used the top o map for the lake but the area where it showed deeper water actually was shallow as could be and we didn't see any real good signs of drop offs anywhere where we were fishing.  We didn't try too many plastics that day aside from drop shotting though.  Maybe finesse baits were needed that day... dunno.

I would say the only way you are going to catch something is to rent a boat.  I think they rent jon boats and canoes.  Fishing from the shore will be tough, just my opinion.

don't waste your time on brittle, it's a "has-been" lake, go else where even Lake Crockett is better that's out that way...

Lake Brittle is a Great lake to fish. I would have to agree with the other guy here, you are going to need finesse baits. This lake is so slammed on a nice day with weekend warriors that the fish are very skidish. Take your time fishing this lake. The very best place to fish is pretty much the middle of the lake. The lake is shaped like an hour-glass and if you fish the small canal that runs from the entrance of the lake to the larger part of the lake it will drop to about 12'-15' that is where you will be getting most of your fish.

Welcome, Nitro Man! I see you are from Remington. I have fished the Rappahannock and Rapidan rivers down there many times. The Rapidan is my favorite place to fish.