Sign in to follow this  
rondef

Fishing Friday April 18th

Anyone from NOVA interested in fishing this Friday? I want to get a whole day of fishing in, starting early morning.

Ron

i know my friend and i will be out Friday afternoon and first thing Saturday morning i just don't know if we are going to be hitting up the reservoir or going to woodglen/Braddock/royal/huntsman/mercer...ill know today im sure

Known, Woodglen is tough right now and Huntsman is extremely low.  I'd hit either Mercer or Braddock.  Mercer is on lately and Braddock should almost be on spawn now based off Trevors post last week.  You might be able to find some crusing bass, but be careful as the water is crystal clear.

Don't know if you've been following Mercer lately but the rate of 4+ lbers coming out of there lately is nuts.  That lake is hot this spring.

Dad, check your email and get back to me.  I was able to arrange getting a free day tommorrow if you still wanna get out.  I was thinking the Potomac finally or hitting the Reservoir out of Lake Ridge.  Let me know.

Braddock was a little more stainded the other night, near the bank is still very clear. The bass are very stubborn there right now, I don't know what's going on. I thought I knew what I was doing but they're not hitting anything, I haven't seen a lot of beds but I've seen some cleared out spots sparatically on the banks, I don't think there in that phase yet probably around the 20th when we have the full moon. They're definately still cruising and chillin' very close to the bank but slowly swim off when you approach, but they're not sitting on any beds just kinda hangin' out near the bank. I've thrown everything from cranks and spinnerbaits to wacky senkos and jigs and tubes. At different speeds with variable presentations from each lure. They just aren't biting or getting ticked off. I'll probably try mercer this evening even though i'd much rather be on my boat. I just need some confidence restored.

Trev, thanks for the report dude.  I was gonna go during lunch today but hunger hit me and I needed a bite to eat.  I will probably get out there Monday or tuesday during lunch.

That pretty much sums up exactly what I saw the couple bass do when I went up that one day last week.  They are stubborn indeed.  That one cove to the left of the dam has a nice tapering flat to the right of it (going back up along the shoreline to the dam).  That's where I spotted a couple swimming near each other.  Looks like a possible area to consider when looking for your beds?  Not sure but it was mostly clay with some rocks built up on the underwater point.  But I'm sure you know where the beds are based of previous experience.  Let us know when you nail your spawners man.

Can't wait for that full moon on the 20th.  I got a good feeling about fishing altogether over the next few weeks (at least in the shallower, more stained lakes).  I may try Mercer one morning next week when I work nights.  Aside from that I'll probably hit some other lake next weekend depending on if I get out on the boat with my dad again.  Later fellas.

stumps are in the top left finger of the lake.  

Stumps are on that stretch where that long arm is on the end of the lake.  Good spot but shallow so it's best to start in the deeper water at the point adjacent to the arm and work your way in.  That way you can see what kind of depth they are at and if they have moved in that far.  

I hear that the buzzbait is producing as the sun goes down.  Might be worth trying out guys.

Later.

I have been catching them all over the lake.  Yesterday my friend caught his 4lb lmb near the stumps in the back on the right.  Near the Deerlee Court entrance.  Once again, good luck guys, I hope someone catches a hawg.

Is it possible to park up at Deerlee court? I parked by the dam last time and hoofed it as I wasn't sure. On google maps I see some cars around there but wasn't sure if the parking was only for residents.

I was at Mercer today along the bank working in to the stumps as JCrzy just suggested.  I tried rattles, spinners in white and yellow, jigs, tubes, and just about everything in my box.  Caught only a few small LMs and didn't see any beds.  I hung up so many times in the stumps it was killing me.  

Okrod those stumps will get you.  I try not to use too many cranks in there and if I do I use mainly shallow runners like Manns or rapala rattle traps (the floating ones).  Original rapalas are a good bet too if you can toss em' far enough (a longer rod helps).

I mainly throw spinners, jigs and worms over in the stump field area.  If you want something that resembles a crankbait but doesn't have trebles and doesn't get hung up nearly as much try a fluke (plastic minnow) on a jig head.  If you bottom hop these they should get just as many strikes.  You can swim em' too.  You can find some zoom ones at Walmart or some other off brands at Boater's World on the PW parkway.  Dicks carries em' in falls church and mannassas too.

If you want some other spots to fish there I suggest, as flippin4it would suggest, anywhere there is not a beaten path.  These are where the bigger fish are caught.  Be careful because the water snakes and stuff are out now and the grass is getting higher and harder to navigate with the thorns.  Walk through at your own discretion and don't forget boots and make sure someone is with you if you're gonna do that and what not.

Where can you park around there?  I see a circle parking spot at DeerLee Dr.

What about Wagon Trail Ln?  I see a dirt path from there to the lake.  Can you take a SUV on it? :)

park at wagon trail and walk, no on the SUV, are you coming tonight?  everyone coming look for the guy in the red hat, that's me, Trevor

I have got the trolling motor battery charging and I am getting excited for our first trip of the year on the Potomac River. I have a good feeling that our honey hole is going to be hot tomorrow. I just need to purchase my yearly pass when we get to Leesylvania and then we will be set for the year as far as launching on the Potomac. I also want to set a new PB. The forecast looks sweet for tomorrow temps in the high 70s and winds around 3 or 4 mph. Jay remind me to pack the sun block.

Ron, I'm actually going out with my uncle tommorow to fish the Potomac, we'll be launchin out of Leesylvania too but won't be there till later.  He wants to fish but i dont think we'll be doin much as the boat is a new toy and lots of gagdets to play with.  What time are you planning on headin out there? Got room? If possible i might try and go out with you guys but i'd have to be back at the launch at 2pm to meet up with my uncle.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread!  Good luck tonight guys! Mercer doesn't like me, i hope you guys have better luck.

Andrew we are Launching around 8:00 AM and staying out until 4:00PM.  You didn't hijack the thread, this was my thread about fishing tomorrow some how it turned into a thread about fishing Mercer tonight.

Thanks JCrzy4Bass on the suggestions.  To continue the hijack, I tried many of your suggestions, even dug deep into the brush to find some new spots.  I just think their fussy, lest you hit them in the head with your lure.   ;)

I agree they are fussy right now.  I think top water and plastics are the way to fish this lake right now.  Buzzbaits can land you some nice fish you just have to patient and wait for the strikes.

JCrzy4Bass and I launched at Leesylvania at 8:45 AM, unfortunately high tide was at 6:13 AM so we missed the best window of time for fishing. However we did put five fish in the live well so it was a good day of fishing. We also missed a few when setting the hook. JCrzy4Bass will be posting the pictures and the details of the trip. Jay I had a blast and I can hardly wait for our next trip. To bad you forgot to remind me about the sunblock, needless to say we got quite the sunburn today.