Sign in to follow this  
71Rig

Tight lips on the Occoquan Reservoir?

Went out on the reservoir on Saturday.  Had a hickup in the morning with the motor acting up so pulled out and then re-launched about 1 hour later.  Ran into Rondef and JCrzy4Bass as I was taking out my crippled rig.  

I took the run up Rez past Fountain Head (to run the motor out) and managed one big arse black crappie on a spinner bait.  Then took a small break to be checked out by Game and Fish.  Passed the safety check (wearable PFDs, throw able, fire extinguisher...)  proceeded back down rez.  Found one 1.5 LMB on some wood near deep water and one more about the same side on a main lake point.   Other then that I had a dink up on Sandy Run.  

Was marking fish suspended and threw the lot at them with no luck.  Has the rain with the spawn blown it out this weekend?  Has anyone been catching much out there?  Rondef and JCrzy4Bass any luck?  

I launched out of Lake Ridge and took a run up past Fountainhead. We stay for 3 hours without a nibble. This is the first time I have been blanked on the rez. I surely hope that Lake Anna is kinder as I will be there in about 10 days. We are staying in the cabins at the state park. Did you notice that there was alot of dead shad in the water when you went out on Saturday?

Yes, a lot of dead shad.  I was figuring that they were busted up by feeding bass but not sure.  I saw them on both the Occoquan and up Sandy Run.  I saw the same thing down on the Appomattox about a  week ago also.  So I wouldn't think it's a water quality issue.  

That's it, I didn't catch many since all the bass were full on shad!  

A buddy and I launched this morning out of Fountainhead and went downlake, ultimately almost to the dam.  Same experience for us--pretty much no bite to speak of.  We were out from 7am-1pm, and only two bass to show for it (1 keeper, 1 super dink).  The only thing we could get bit on was Zoom Baby Brush Hogs, pitched really tight to cover.  We also saw a TON of dead shad floating.

any ideas on the dead shad???

No luck for JCrzy4Bass and I on Saturday. I did hook an extremely strong catfish on my jig and he pulled pretty hard and I ended up snapping my 10lb braided line, bummer. It would have been nice to see how big it really was. We also saw a bunch of dead shad and would like to know why.

Was out last thursday and noticed all the dead shad as well! We fished from 6-8 and caught 2. One about a pound and a half, and the other was about 2 pounds. It got stuck on some structure but after about 5 minutes we got it un stuck and got the fish. All of the fish were on the same point, they weren't biting anywhere else.

The dead shad make perfect sense considering the spawn...When I was living up in the northern most midwest we would catch steelies on flesh flies when the salmon were dying off after the spawn.  That is a lot of energy spent on reproduction and that combined with concentrated numbers of fish it would look alike a large kill but statistically "normal" for a population that size.  I know it makes the gulls happy.  

Ron, did you have that cat on in the wood in the first cove up rez from Lake Ridge.  I saw you in there when I relaunched with what I thought was a doubled over rod.  That area holds some nice fish later in the summer for sure.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with problems...thought I lost it for a minute ;).  Might get out one day this week but most likely on Saturday.  Maybe see some of you guys out there.

Tight lines.

Actually it was right accross the rez on the point near the rocks sticking up out of the water.  We did see some huge fish in the first cove that you spoke of.  JCrzy4Bass said he thought they were large carp but I really couldn't tell for sure I just knopw they were splashing up a storm.  We were seeing a lot of decent size fish on the fish finder in there though but couldn't get them to bite.  What you saw (my rod doubled over) was most likely when I lost my jig in the brush over there.

Ron

Yea the spawn of the shad makes perfect sense.  I know in the Pacific Northwest it is a common occurence with the salmon and so forth

(watched it on discovery) haha.  Anyway there was a decent amount floating.

I threw white spinners, sexy shads in a shad color, jigs w/ sweet beaver trailers, and a zoom g tail worm.  No luck on anything in the 4 hours or so of fishing we had.  Tough day on the water.

It was cool seeing the carp roll in the back of the cove.  Just wish I would have found out they weren't bass earlier.  All we were seeing was tails.  But one finally got stuck on top of the brush and I saw the colors and the pattern and realized it was a carp.  Makes sense in the way that they were rolling and not hitting our senko and jig offerings.

Lots of grouped up bait, balls of shad, bluegill, so forth on the depthfinder.  Thought we had found some bass but the ones we may have been on sure didn't want anything to do with the offerings... bleh.

Tuesday, post front on a new lake... should be interesting day for me.  Hope you guys have more luck on the rez here in the upcoming weeks.  Not my best fishery.

JCrzy,

Almost certainly was a Cat, not a Carp.  I have never heard of Carp in this body, and I fish it constantly.  Also, no Carp listed on VDGIF.  I was out 4/18 - 4/20 and saw tons of Cats rolling and splashing tail in the backs of coves.  Caught a decent nice bass mostly relating to wood.

there is a HUGE carp population there. I have caught quite a few.

Yup, definately a carp.  Seen a ton of em' there and my friend and I catch em' all the time off of the floating dock at Lake Ridge.  Corn, corn, corn.  Tons a fun.  The population of them there is actually quite ridiculous.  And yes it's not listed on the web site just as many of the other lakes don't have everything listed.  And to think I thought they have been doing a great job updating the VDGIF site... pshh!

I've read that they are very bad for the bass population. Something about them killing weeds/grass...

I saw a guy pull out a 30lb carp from the pier at Fountainhead one time. Weird thing was, he kept it and took it home  :-?

They probably don't mention them on the VDGIF because carp are pretty much everywhere and in general, they aren't a highly sought after game fish

...they aren't a highly sought after game fish

Carp aren't a "game fish" anywhere in this country that I'm aware of.

In most (all) states fishernman are encouraged to "harvest" them all. Locally, a growing sport is shooting carp with arrows. There is no limit as to size or numbers and it's fairly common to kill several hundered at a time. Unfortunately, nothing seems to get rid of them.

Just wait a few years and the carp will become a "game fish".  It's been big in Europe for a long time and is almost exclusive in the UK.  Yes, they have other fish species but carp tend to be the target species of choice for most fisherman.  

I've been noticing more and more articles in main stream US outdoor publications regarding angling for carp.  I think it's going to be the new resource for tackle and bait companies to market.  If you have never fished for them it can be pretty tough at times.  Keep an eye out for a carp tournament near you!  

Carp sure can be a challenge to land. I hooked this one on light tackle at my parents' 17 acre lake north of Fredericksburg:

carp1.jpg?t=1209670955

It put up a heck of a fight.

Carp are one of the toughest fighting freshwater fish there is.  They run with your line like crazy and can make your arms sore after 20-30 minute battles depending on the size.  They can be pretty neat as far as colors depending on where you catch them and if they were moving around in the mud (forget it they look nasty after that) haha.  

I would fish for them right after largemouth and smallmouth.  Nothing gets my heart beating faster than playing tug of war with these guys.  Every one is a challenge to land and a fight to remember.  I know quite a few NOVA guys who make fishing for them a frequent thing.  

Dan, alot of the guys that fish fountainhead pull the carp out and take em' home.  I heard they taste nasty though.  Hey snow, is that a grass carp?  If so they must be released because they are put in the lake to control vegetation and none in Virginia can be possessed.

Hey snow, is that a grass carp? If so they must be released because they are put in the lake to control vegetation and none in Virginia can be possessed.

Don't worry, he didn't land it  :P

Well then I guess there must be carp in the rez.  All I know is that I have seen cats splashing, and if you look @ the bank in these coves where you are seeing so much action, you will notice the holes dug in the mud at the water line.  I have known these as catfish nests, where they lay their eggs.  I dont think carp dig holes, but then again, I know nothing about carp.