Sign in to follow this  
okrod

Fountainhead

Does anyone have a topo map of Fountainhead?  

I dropped my kayak in there yesterday for about 4 hours and got only two fish.   ;)  I'm used to shallow water, so I hit the brush and laydowns in the coves and got only one, 1 lb LM.  After another 2.5 hours I decided to snoop on some guys hitting good in a jon.  It looked like they were hookin-up on the drop-offs.  

Low and behold, on my second attempt with a soft P. and bullet, I hooked but lost something real big.  About 10 minutes later I landed this guy (3.5 lbs).  I was anchored and he still dragged me about 20 feet.  It took about 5 minutes to get him in the yak and I thought I was going to break my rod.  

I recently said I wanted to catch something larger than 4 lbs, but I'm not so sure anymore. At least not in my yak.   :-/

post-13709-130162941492_thumb.jpg

Nice fish Rich! Catchin bass in a Yak is definitely more fun than when you're on land! ;D

Good job out there! Did you take Rachel out too?

No, Rachel stayed home.  I don't think we can both fish from the yak without me getting a face full of hook.  

Does anyone have a topo map of Fountainhead?

I dropped my kayak in there yesterday for about 4 hours and got only two fish. ;) I'm used to shallow water, so I hit the brush and laydowns in the coves and got only one, 1 lb LM. After another 2.5 hours I decided to snoop on some guys hitting good in a jon. It looked like they were hookin-up on the drop-offs.

Low and behold, on my second attempt with a soft P. and bullet, I hooked but lost something real big. About 10 minutes later I landed this guy (3.5 lbs). I was anchored and he still dragged me about 20 feet. It took about 5 minutes to get him in the yak and I thought I was going to break my rod.

I recently said I wanted to catch something larger than 4 lbs, but I'm not so sure anymore. At least not in my yak. :-/

Okrod,

I recently emailed Geomart to see when the Occoquan map would be available and their publisher told them May and it's still not in so the only answer they could stick with is "soon".

As far as a big fish in the yak, its very doable. Just learn to embrace the "Nantucket sleigh ride" and you'll be fine. ;)

nice fish. i have looked every where for a good map. the only places i have found all say "discontinued"...

Paul, when you get it. Bring it by my work so i can show you something...... ;)

Caught 5 today. This one came on a green pumpkin jig. Got the rest on spinnerbaits.

IMG_2531.jpg

Caught 5 today. This one came on a green pumpkin jig. Got the rest on spinnerbaits.

IMG_2531.jpg

Slomoe, you in a boat or bank?

Nice fish slomoe

I wonder who won the tourney out of fountianhead today? Anyone know?

Me and PIGSTICKER WON!!! Just kidding.

The tourney director Mike Fisher won with 18 and a half pounds. We were beat out by .3 of an ounce for big fish!!!!!!!  >:( Everyone had a tough day, we did pretty well though. We are in the top 10 (we believe) with 13.34 pounds for 5 fish. I missed 3 fish today that would have given us a limit. I'm a choke.

Awesome day though, heartbreaks and adreniline rushes. Missed a nice 2 lber to give us a limit with 15 minutes left.  ::) I suck.

Me and PIGSTICKER WON!!! Just kidding.

The tourney director Mike Fisher won with 18 and a half pounds. We were beat out by .3 of an ounce for big fish!!!!!!!  >:( Everyone had a tough day, we did pretty well though. We are in the top 10 (we believe) with 13.34 pounds for 5 fish. I missed 3 fish today that would have given us a limit. I'm a choke.

Awesome day though, heartbreaks and adreniline rushes. Missed a nice 2 lber to give us a limit with 15 minutes left.  ::) I suck.

You don't suck. You and your brother are the young guns. Have you ever been on that body of water with one of the top guys? I have and you do better than me........so who sucks now? The tourny's I have fished I have not even gone to the scales because I know I'm not even close to the win or big fish.... :-/

Matt,

Glad to hear you did well, even if you didn't bring home a check.  Don't think for a minute that you suck.  It sounds like you came real close and learned a great deal.  I'm sure you can whoop most of us with a rod.  

Haha I am sorry I wasn't fishin for compliments there, it looked like I was. I really was mad at myself, just ask pigsticker. He was fishing with me while my brother was down at Gaston. I feel like we did really really well it's just I keep playing the "what if" game in my head about missing those fish. I almost pulled an ike and jumped in after the one at the end with 15 minutes left but nah. Oh well, it keeps me coming back wanting to win more.  ;D

wow word gets around fast ;D I fell asleep at 7:30 last night so I've been out of it but from matt's story it would seem like we had the win locked up until he missed that fish. All the bites he missed were either VERY light or a funny bite. and when your fishing a 7in senko c-rigged its tough ;D  ;)

Plus he is not telling you the one keeper i got was not even hooked!!

it held onto my tube all the way to the boat and matt netted it. Plus

Matts 4lber looked like he was gonna die the whole day so weighing him in was a bonus. All in All it was a very good day

Note dont believe what Matt says HE is a Stick!!! I cant give him enough credit for his fsihing