Sign in to follow this  
Bill U

First Time Poster Long Time Lurker

Hello All,

I have been visiting these forums for over a year now and have really enjoyed reading everyone's posts.

Very informative.

I live in Northern VA and love to fish in this area.

I've been wanting to go get on some smallmouths and all the posts about the Upper Potomac has really got me wanting to go. My question is where would the best place to go to fish from shore be? I will be with my 11 year old son so I'm not gonna be able to do much wading. Plus I don't want to be the idiot on the 11 o'clock news who they had to drag out of the river!

It's been years since I've been up that way and as I remember Great Falls looked pretty rough. I was thingking about going to Algonkian but have never been before. I also noticed on Google Maps a couple of other parks between Algonkian and Great falls that look like they might be pretty good.

Any advice on the best place up there to fish from shore would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to your responses and I plan on posting much more in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

to the forum.

My son and I just fished Algonkian from my canoe last week, we caught close to 30 smallies. While we were there we saw a lot of people fishing from shore. I don't know how good the fishing is from the shore, but they have a lot of shoreline to fish from.

First off I want to say Welcome to the forums!!!!

The next thing is that I too live In NOVA and if you would like to fish the tidal Potomac by boat and are willing to split cost I am always up for inviting new members on a fishing trip!! :)

Whats Krackalackin Bill U?!

Welcome! Im glad you stopped lurking, It was getting kind of creepy.  ;D

Wellcome Bill U. What part of Northern Va are you from?

Slomoe, are you not the one that was stalking me in Dick's? ;D

Hey Bill. If you are around Fredericksburg there is a great spot you can catch smallies from shore and almost cast all the way across river. The size may not be that great but you can catch the occassional keeper and tons of 10 - 12" smallies to keep you occuppied.

Take 95 south down to exit 133A going towards Falmouth. When you get to the ramp it will put you on 17 south. Follow it to route 1 and make a right at the light (going south on route one). Once you cross the bridge (immediately in front of you when you turn on route one) you will see Riverside Drive, make a right onto it. If you follow it down to the intersection of Falls Hill Avenue (first street on your right) there is a dirt parking lot on the right hand side of the road there. That WHOLE shoreline for about 200 - 300 yards has a path you can walk down and cast from shore at. Plenty of room for a whole bunch of people. Can take a whole day to walk if you take your time in each spot.

Falls Hill Avenue is also park land and you can walk the whole shoreline there for about 100 - 150 yards, but it's tougher to put your bait in the better spots. However, there are rock islands you can get to without going in the water if you follow the rocks out. Enough room to sit and cast in all directions. Get there early if you go on a weekend as some people like to lay in the sun and swim there.

It's very scenic and has some great smallie action. Make sure you check the water levels to make sure they are not around the dangerous level. Go to google and type in USGS Real Time Data. Click on Virginia when you see the map. Look for the Rappahannock River at Fredericksburg and check the water level there. They have the recommended safe level and the current levels as of every 3 - 4 hours.

Good luck in your search. Other possible places include Algonkian, River Rd (just up the street from Falls Hill Avenue (canoe launch here), and a location on the Rapidan with average depths of 1 - 2 feet (for wading, pm me for details... great spot for youngsters to wade when accompanied by an adult with pfds).  Average deoth here is MUCH lower than the Rappahannock.

Dude ;D You were stalking me....And you scared the crap outta me. I was like "who is this dude walking staight at me"

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Rondef,

Sounds like I will be heading to Algonkian, I've read a lot of your and your sons posts and you guys seem to really have a good time fishing and you two also seem to have great success!

Nitroman,

Thanks for the offer I will definitely keep that in mind! Although, my budget is pretty tight right now. With gas prices so high I even had second thoughts about driving up to Algonkian but the call of the smallie is just too great!

Slomoe,

LOL, I hope to be posting some cool and funny fishing stories soon!

Flippin4it,

LOL, I live in Alexandria, outside of the Beltway.

JCrzy4Bass,

Wow, thanks for all that info! When I originally thought about fishing for smallmouths I thought about the Rappahannock River (because of posts on this site). I've never been fishing down there and it is definitely on my list of places I want to fish. Unfortunately this weekend I don't have a whole day to devote to fishing so I need to stay a little closer to home. I will be saving that info though, that sounds like exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks too for pointing out a life jacket, I didn't even think about that! (see being an idiot in my first post!)

Well, now I'm really psyched about going! I look forward to posting some pictures of fish soon!

Thanks again for the great welcome!

Should I be worried about going to Dick's! :o

(that sounds wrong, really, really, really wrong!)

Welcome Bill U!!!

I'm from Alexandria as well. Kind of busy at work and have decided to cut down on fishing but if you ever want to go out for a bit shoot me a PM and i'll try and sneak in some time. :P

I've also had a lot of success fishing from Algonkian and so I think you'll like it a lot!

Thanks for the offer Skip2myBass, I'm always looking for new places to fish. I have had moderate success with the local ponds.

I like your tag line, no matter how old you get you never stop learning. I've learned more in the last couple of years, thanks to sites like this one, then I ever did as a kid.

Of course there is no substitute for getting out there and fishing!

Dude ;D You were stalking me....And you scared the crap outta me. I was like "who is this dude walking staight at me"

It was a defensive maneuver..........A guy like me coming straight at you should make you feel all warm and fuzzy..........Did'nt it?  

Welcome aboard!

8-)

Alright, that does it, I'm sticking with
 ;D

Welcome aboard! Hilarious video, I can't wait for what else comes along!

Bill, glad you are with us and welcome.

Send a PM to JCrazu4Bass as he has a wonderful blog with his family's fishing exploits in your area.

I enjoy reading it from time to time and Jason is one of the most knowledgeable people fishing Northern Virginia.

Can't wait to read your posts.  :)

Hey Sam, thanks for the kind words buddy.  I really appreciate it.  I had to do a lot of work on it yesterday because one of the blog files corrupted and messed up the whole site as far as the html.  Don't know how that happend.  Luckily the one post (really long) on the Algonkian Trip is saved on my wifes pc at home.  So I'll have it back up tonight.

Anyway if anyone else is interested in the blog about our bass resource trips (members I routinely go out with), or trips I make with my dad... even somedays my solo trips as well feel free to check it out:

http://another sitereport.blogspot.com/

Not tryin' to hijack.  

Hey Bill, one other thing about that spot.  The bank is really high.  Don't let it throw you off.  There is a walkway down to the waters edge (wooden steps) about 50 - 60 yards from the parking lot (on Riverside Dr), that's where you get down.  Just thought I'd let ya know.  If you wanna arrange to get out sometime in August I may be able to make it down for a few hours one day and show you the better spots.  Hit me up with a pm and we can try and arrange something.  Maybe my dad and I, and you and your son.

Also, make sure you get yourself some Gitzit Tubes over at Walmart.  They come in a box with 5 different colors, and 8 or so jig heads.  I think you get like 20 - 25 tubes for 6 bucks or something.  Good purchase as they will catch down there all day.

I don't know about the looking for the cheapest spinnerbait, the video was funny though.

Woulda went with the bleeding bait series myself.. but hey whatever tickles your pickle lol.

Funny video though!  I have used those 1.00 spinnerbaits... basically, you get what you pay for in my book lol.  Although I did manage a fish or two on one of em'.  But they don't sink worth beans and they run HORRIBLY on the top of the water if your burning it.

Not criticism, just opinion.  I got the feeling the video was more for comical purposes anyway.  Definately achieved that purpose.  I was on the floor when you were talking about the last trip to the store lol.

Hey All,

Thanks for the kind words, I originally did that video as a goof and to send to my family back in the Chicago area. I never thought I would post it on a message board but it just seemed to fit in with the whole Dick's conversation! My wife laughs at me because I really don't talk with that much of an accent in real life. I did grow up around Chicago but I have lived out here in Northern VA for over 20 years now.

I did actually buy a few of those spinnerbaits and its true, they suck! You definitely get what you pay for.

JCrzy4Bass,

Your blog is awesome, I always enjoy reading about fishing! Sorry to hear about your buddy getting sent overseas. I actually spent just a month in Saudi Arabia during Desert Storm at the end of my time in the Army and I can't imagine being over there any longer! Plus I was never even close to being in harms way.

Thanks too for all the info on Algonkian, you've just saved me some anxiety! I was also thinking about what to use, I will definitely pick up those tubes. I've never used them and it will be fun to try something new. I can't wait to get out there.

I haven't caught a smallmouth in over twenty years and that was in a different country (Canada), my son has never caught one.

My fishing background is this I grew up in Illinois and was lucky enough as a kid that my grandparents had a small cottage on a little lake in Southern Wisconsin. I grew up fishing primarily for bluegills and largemouth bass. My parents would also take us up to Canada for family vacations and we would fish for walleye, northern pike and smallmouth bass. When I came out to VA because of the Army I met my wife and we started a family out here. I occasionally would take my kids fishing but its hard when they are little. I didn't really get back into fishing until a few years ago.

Well after not posting for over a year you all now know my life story! :D

I view fishing like my father, "It's fun just to be out there and if you actually catch something it's a bonus!"

I look forward to reading more fishing stories and posting some of my own!