Sign in to follow this  
SimonSays

Swift creek res (Richmond, va) - public launch?

I'm getting my new Kayak this thursday and I was looking for a place to launch it for my maiden voyage!  I've always wanted to fish swift creek on a craft of some sort, does anyone know of a public launch area?

Or possibly any other bodies of water (near richmond) you think would be good for my first trip out =D?

Thanks!

Hey Simon,

There really isn't much of a "launch" area for swift creek res.  If you are on Woolridge right before it crosses over the reservoir on the right side (if heading towards Genito) is an area where most guys put there jon boats in at.  With a yak, you could park essentially anywhere on Woolridge, or on Genito and drop in.

Hey Simon.  If you are interested in hitting somewhere up here I can put you at a great spot down on one of the marine bases.  Only prob is you need to pick up a year pass first.

I can get you all the info if you are interested.  My dad have been killing it out there in our canoe this year.  Best topwater spot in Nova, period.  Topwater ALL day.  Frog and Buzzbait heaven.  

Even if you wanna hit it some other time let me know and I can get you all the info you need.

Simon,

There is a launch site by the resturant, Sunday's, on the lake.

However, I think you may have to live in the subdivision to use the ramp.

There is another place to launch but I forgot where it is. Somewhere in Brandermill.  Check out a map and see if you can find it.

Maybe you can put in off Genito Road?

Otherwise, you may have to know someone to put in.  :'(

I've seen people do it Simon, I fish there all the time cause it's not far from where I live and I can fish from shore.  If I had a yak or would be in town, I'd join ya!

Hey man, I can take you out for some good fishing on swift creek near colonial heights and we can hit some smallies on the appo if youre interested. Send me a PM and we can work something out. Kayak is definitely my boat of choice.

Sam is right in that youre supposed to be a resident of Brandermill if you put in down there, I think there might even be a sticker youre supposed to have.  If youre putting in there, I also hope your kayak tracks well because it gets quite windy.

I also cannot stress how essential it is to hit the nottoway on your kayak. Fishing is great, scenery is great, and huge groups of gar will run right along side you.

Hey man, I can take you out for some good fishing on swift creek near colonial heights and we can hit some smallies on the appo if youre interested.  Send me a PM and we can work something out.  Kayak is definitely my boat of choice.  

Sam is right in that youre supposed to be a resident of Brandermill if you put in down there, I think there might even be a sticker youre supposed to have.  If youre putting in there, I also hope your kayak tracks well because it gets quite windy.

I also cannot stress how essential it is to hit the nottoway on your kayak.  Fishing is great, scenery is great, and huge groups of gar will run right along side you.

Wow that sounds like alot of fun, I'll definitely take you up on that! I've always wanted to catch a toothy critter =D

You need to make a rope lure if you want to catch gar. Take a piece of rope and undo the strands on one end so it is fanned out. Then you need to tie your line to the other end of the rope. The gar will hit this and their teeth will get stuck in the rope. The reason for fishing this way is that their mouth is all bone so setting a hook is extremly difficult. I was lucky enough to catch one last year on a booyah boogie bait but I have been told the rope is the way to go.

You need to make a rope lure if you want to catch gar. Take a piece of rope and undo the strands on one end so it is fanned out. Then you need to tie your line to the other end of the rope. The gar will hit this and their teeth will get stuck in the rope. The reason for fishing this way is that their mouth is all bone so setting a hook is extremly difficult. I was lucky enough to catch one last year on a booyah boogie bait but I have been told the rope is the way to go.

haha, sounds interesting, any suggestion on the type and size rope? I actually wasnt talking about catching the Gar, its just extremely cool seeing a pack of 5 or 6 three+ foot Gar running along side your kayak. Im guessing they have no predators because they sure as hell didnt flinch when I put my paddle right next to them. Of course I threw some lures in their faces but they had no interest in anything I tried.

From what I was told the rope should be no more than 5 or 6 inches long and you don't want the rope to be to thick either.  I would say rope about as thick as a clothes line.  I can tell you that the gar fight extremely well for there size.  The one caught fought really hard for about 5 minutes before I pulled him into the boat.

Simonsays, i have been out on swift creek resevoir several times and I put in right off woolridge road, and it wasnt a problem at all.  I didn't do to well out there.  First off, it is huge, so i spent a lot of time just paddling around looking for decent spots with my depth finder.  I didnt really find too many.  From what it looked like, the majority of the people i saw were using live bait.  If you plan on going, i would get a good topo map of the reservoir, and try to map out some sports or you will be paddling for days.  It is extremely shallow around woolridge road, 5 or 6 feet seemed to be the deepest i found.