Sign in to follow this  
rboat

New Dicks sporting goods store?

There is a new store going up in central florida, (I4 & Hwy 27) Polk Co. Anyone know when it opens? The building is up and looks big. I called their help line and they had no idea about a new store in florida. Go figure.  ::)

Did you check out their web site?  I wonder if there is any announcement of future new store locations.

Did you contact the county's planning department? They would know. And so would your Board of Supervisors representative so give him/her a phone call.  If they don't know, ask them to find out.

If you have a stock broker then ask him to look it up on their financial site for future expansion plans.

Now, if all that fails, just sit back and see what happens.

The web site had no information on future stores. I asked some local residents in that area and they also did not know when the opening day was scheduled. The customer service help line was no help. I guess I will wait and hope the wait is worth it. I have never been to one of their stores, but others say they have some good tackle selections and good sales.  8-)

I love the store they have here, great selection of tackle, baits, etc. They always keep tons of variety on soft plastics. They usually have pretty good combos at good prices.

Locally, we have Dicks, Gander Mountain and Sportsman's Warehouse in the big box retailers.  Of those three, I prefer Sportsman's due to the HUGE fishing section, 1/4 of the store, and 1/2 of the back wall that is nothing but plastics.

From what I have seen locally, Dicks has the smallest selection of fishing supplies.  So don't be surprised that the fishing selection is limited to just a couple short isles of baits, I think ours has 6.  Also, from what I have seen, the other retailers have a lower price on supplies than Dick's.  When Gander opened, I did a price comparision of the three and Dick's was the highest and Sportsman and Gander being relatively close within a couple cents of each other.  

I sure hope your new Dick's has a bigger selection than what we have here in Roanoke, VA.

When a large retailer opens a sporting goods store they have completed their research on the best available location and the most attractive types of products to carry.

After the store is open for one-year, the manager will make changes based on each department's sales.

So should soccer sales be greater than paintball sales, the soccer area will grow and the paintball section will be reduced.

Same is true with the fishing section.  First, what types of fishing equipment is selling...freshwater, saltwater or fly?

Are there any specific baits or tackle that are selling best, such as plastics, catfish bait, combos, cranks, hooks, sinkers, etc.?  This will be based on the type of fishing in your area, fresh or saltwater.

The Peckers by my house has reduced the size of its fishing department.  The Peckers five miles down the road still has a good fishing department but I have noticed that the hunting goods are slowly but surely moving into the fishing stock's area, thus reducing the fishing products square footage.

This is why some of the guys on this forum thought Wal-Mart was going out of the fishing business when a number of Wal-Mart sporting goods departments cut back on their fishing stock. Those store managers wanted the space to stock it with other items that were selling better than some of the fishing products.

With that said, you need to take the Bait Monkey with you when the new Peckers opens so you can buy out the store!!!!  ;)

I was in the new Dick's in Wesley Chapel a few weeks ago.  They had a very limited selection of bass tackle.  We are getting a Sportsman's Warehouse here in Tallahassee next month.  I'm trying to hold off on buying much until I see if they have any great grand opening specials.

Anybody got the opening date for this new florida store? (corner of I-4 & Hwy 27)

I prefer the dick's in Fairfax with their large selection and "one" associate who knows his stuff. He's there only during the week and you'll recognize him by his Berkley jersey (didn't get his name). I haven't found any other good advice there.

While big box stores like Walmart will return almost anything, Dick's management has been very reasonable and allows you to combine coupons for big discounts. Also don't hesitate to ask if you can use an expired coupon, they most likely will take it.