Sign in to follow this  
flippin4it.

Flooded lakes of Fairfax county...

Visited three different lakes this morning. All water levels are way up,but that is what made it so good. Found all fish to be right on the original shoreline that was now 2 feet under. Caught all on a single colorado blade spinnerbait. Black seemed to do better than chartreus. Total of 17, 15 over 14 inches and largest in the 4.5-5 lbs range (sorry,no scale). A great day to say the least.  I had always avoided fishing after a huge rain, now I know better.

I love fishing after a big rain. I don't really know what it is, but it seems to get the fish a little more active.

my lake was really high today, highest anyone has seen it around here yesterday evening before the levels started to drop this morning... I went out for a quick walk around first time with a spinnerbait in mid day throwing near the new submerged bushes and the old bank edges to no prevail, walked around in the evening with a senko with the same strategy, no luck either.  I did have an awesome night on Friday as the rain started coming in before levels rose, I was out in the dark with a buddy and caught my biggest fish I've caught here since I've lived here a year and a half later at just over 6lbs on a black spinnerbait waking it just below the surface.  We baught 8 between the two of us and my buddy lost the ninth right by the bank edge, it was pushing 5lbs. on a buzzbait.  The rest were decent bass no real small ones, but two over 5 caught in the rain in the dark, I think i have a new stratgey for my lake as it's been very unroductive during typical times of the day this summer.

wow that turned out to be a novel, sorry.

We went out (or tried) on Sat. morning and our experience was the same as Trevors.  L. Royal was flooded to the point you couldn't walk around it, the walking path was covered.  Both entrances to the parks on L. Royal were shut (gated).  Same for Accotink.  As a last ditch effort, we arrived at L. Mercer around 7AM.  Walked to the dam and the water was like chocolate milk (to borrow a phrase from someone on this forum).  We fished the dam for about an hour without a single bite, and both my sons were using live bait (crawlers and minnows).  So, a frustrating day for fishing, but it was a beautiful morning and my sons enjoyed the high water anyway, i.e. places we typically fish were underwater, a very active spillway at Mercer, etc.

Went down to the rez yesterday. I was way out of my comfort zone. My buddy caught two, and I got skunked, but not before we had to help the guy at lake ridge bail out a jon because they were docked through the storm and were about to sink  :o

Anyone know how Matt did yesterday?

man, me/rob/rich went to occ after getting kicked off fountainhead on sunday with no luck.. rob had 2 dinks he lost because he was trying to land them on light tackle 2lbs.. and he did manage to land one small cat.. rich lost another 2 behind and a cove..and i went skunked..  (Great report eh?? HAHAHA)  me and rob then managed to get on fountainhead later that afternoon..and watched a guy pull up bass after bass.. we.. got skunked.. i quit.  hahahaha.. j/k.. i'm going pond fishing later after work..  hahhahahahaha

Yeah. I only had one bite but I goofed on the hookset. The fish my buddy caught were tight to the shoreline. I mean maybe a foot of water.

I hit Lake Cheyenne today and caught five in an hour and a half.

No size.  All dinks.

All on a pumpkinseed with black flake four-inch Senko.

Lost about 10 others that would take the bait and then drop it.

Caught them about 30 feet off shore on a drop-off.

Glad you got so many nice ones.

And yes, they can get active and move around after it rains and the pond levels rise.  You just have to find them.  ;)

Had some decent luck fishing last weekend too. Buddy and I went fishing at a big farm pond and caught a few with the two biggest being 3.5 lbs. and one close to 5lbs. All fish were caught within 10 ft of shore, with the biggest smashing a senko is slop 2ft from shore  :o.

Seems like fishing this weekend in the rain might not be a bad idea! ;D

My brother and I DID TERRIBLE on sunday.........We got skunked  >:( >:( >:( >:( Not even one SINGLE bite. We started off on the "winning" pattern. Backs of creeks flippin jigs....We must have done this until 9:30, 2 hours of flippin in the back of creeks without a bite....So we went uplake and just threw it away. The winners (the Sparks) were flippin in the backs of creeks all day, their first fish was a 4 1/2 lber and they had 15 lbs to win. Wish I could have gotten on that flippin bite, it's what I thrive on.  ;D

Matt, your time will come. We will see how ggod you are this weekend during our pond hopping extravaganza........ ;)   6A.M.- noon.

man, I wish I was still back at home so I could have people to go fishing with...

man, I wish I was still back at home so I could have people to go fishing with...

Dan, you have my #. Just give a holler when your home and have some time. Thanksgiving weekend maybe?? I'll set aside a day for you.

Matt, your time will come. We will see how ggod you are this weekend during our pond hopping extravaganza........ ;) 6A.M.- noon.

Sounds good to me......I just hope I can DRIVE!!! I got in a little trouble a couple weeks ago and haven't had the car since but hopefully my Mom will make an exception. ;) I am pretty excited to get out there.

Yeah sounds good, pigsticker you DRIVE!!!!!!!! OH wait....hahaha.

PS Does anyone know of a place within an hours drive to get some good jigs? Prefferably terminators but nowhere carries them. Paycheck on thursday means lots of jigs ;D I'm basically out.

huh I used to go hunting around a green top which was like an hour away but I can't remember where exactly

somewhere near king georges county

I think the dicks out in fair oaks has good jigs, jewel and some other good names

tell me if you head out there I am running out of things ;)

It will be on thursday if I go....I have to talk to my mom first, but lets go on thursday cause I get my paycheck then.

Matt Rob will have some jigs for you i can almost guarantee it, he told me about the sunday extravaganza and unfortunately i'm going to the skins game so I can't make it.  Next time!