Sign in to follow this  
bigfruits

does anyone build decks for jon boats in the DC area?

id like to buy a jon boat and turn it into a bass boat but my carpentry skills are on par with those of a 1st grader.

i just want a deck, two swivel chairs, front trolling motor, depth finder and a stick controlled gas motor (maybe 9.9 so i can use it at fountainhead). nothing fancy.

do you know of any people or companies that i could pay to build a deck for me?

referral bonus will be a free fishing trip :)

thanks

-z

A piece of advise. Do not build the frame of the deck out of wood. Build it out of aluminum box tube or L channel. Wood has way to much weight and causes a jon to plow through the water.

I also know a couple of boats already decked and ready to go. PM if you need more info.

I was thinking about doing the same thing, but Rob does have a point.  I only have a 6HP engine for my 12 foot jon and I want to keep it light.  I have to muscle the boat behind my house and under the deck which is difficult enough with no deck.  I'm thinking about just bolting removable swivel chairs to my bench seats and then maybe cutting out a couple pieces of plywood as an easily removable floor, mainly for sound insulation.  Where are you in NOVA?  I'm no expert either, but I have a table saw and lots of other tools to do the job.

I was thinking about doing the same thing, but Rob does have a point. I only have a 6HP engine for my 12 foot jon and I want to keep it light. I have to muscle the boat behind my house and under the deck which is difficult enough with no deck. I'm thinking about just bolting removable swivel chairs to my bench seats and then maybe cutting out a couple pieces of plywood as an easily removable floor, mainly for sound insulation. Where are you in NOVA? I'm no expert either, but I have a table saw and lots of other tools to do the job.

There are a lot of awesome threads on here for doing this. I recently did my tracker 1436, I have a thread on here with my picks and I followed an AWESOME thread on here with step by step pics on the Aluminum frame, decking, etc. There are a TON of guys on here with a lot of good info to help you out, particularly with the gotchas like not using pressure treated lumber on your jon

Hung Up Paul - i will not be back to the states until spring so i guess im planning way ahead. i will be living in the Reston area most likely.

flippin4it / Va-Bronco - you will probably have sold it by then, but ill PM you guys regardless

thanks for the links and advice, guys. im a member of many forums (non fishing) and the people here are by far the most helpful.

cheers

-z