Sign in to follow this  
A.Do?

Accotink Bay Report

Went out on Accotink Bay this morning with my friends Jeremy and Jason. Got there at 7:30ish and put the kayaks in. The water was clear in some areas but really murky in others. Beautiful day to be on the water. On my first cast I caught a keeper on a ghost minnow buzzbait and so that was promising! We spent the next hour or so with a few bites here and there until we figured out the pattern that would work for us the rest of the day. BLUE! Anything with blue or blue flake the fish went nuts for!

We threw black/blue ribbontails, black/blue lizards, white/blue hue rage shad, white/grey/blue flake rage shad, and green pumpkin/blue space monkeys.

The top water action was AMAZING, or should I say, "outRAGEous" ;D

Jeremy ended the day with over 40 fish :o (three or so in the 3lbs. range, at least three in the 2lbs. range, and a bunch of keepers/dinks) with the biggest being almost 4lbs. Here are a few of them.

AccotinkBay006.jpg

AccotinkBay007.jpg

AccotinkBay014.jpg

AccotinkBay011.jpg

Fish this size all day for him.

I had a mere 14 :( (mostly because I spent a lot of time fixing backlashes >:( ) with my biggest only being 2lbs. even. Here are some pix.

AccotinkBay005.jpg

AccotinkBay017.jpg

AccotinkBay015.jpg

My buddy Jason caught about 7-8 with a nice kicker!

AccotinkBay001.jpg

and the kicker....

3lbs14oz.jpg

a snakehead at 3lbs. 14oz. on a rage tail shad on 6lb hybrid on a ML rod. It was fun for him! :D That sucker would not open its mouth for me to put the scale on him so I had to straddle him between my legs and pry his mouth open with pliers. :-[

AccotinkBay019.jpg

We, of course, killed it after take some more pictures.

A very good day of fishing! Jeremy and I are all out of rage products! 80% of the fish caught were on topwater. I fished the space monkeys top water and had huge blow ups. Several fish came completely out of the water :o. The fishing really turned on around noon then died down and came back on at 3-4!

Hope you guys had this kind of success as well! ;)

Killer day. Great fish and pictures. I wanna catch a snakehead now...

mmmmmmmmmmm.......raaagggee taaiiillll..........

Seriously, nice outing, all those fish make it alot of fun.  Did you guys go anywhere near Pohick Bay/Park?  (roughly south/southeast of accotink).  I ask because we caught similar bass there this spring, fishing from the bank around the park access areas.  We'll be there two weekends from now also.

We were pretty much right outside the launch area within ft. belvoir. I'm not familiar with the base so can't say where we were exactly. Almost all fish were caught in less than 4ft. of water!

I was here with my friend Jason, who works on base, last weekend and got skunked on shore, but with all the structure I saw I knew I had to get my yak out there!

My wrist hurts like heck from all the topwater action!

40 bass is ridiculous, and most on topwater!!!! Where do you guys put in over there? I've been in that area once, and launched out of pohick bay regional park.

not sure where we were honestly :-/ My friend is a marine and works on base and he's the one that took me to the launch. I'll ask him to see where it was.

Congratulations!

Great post and pics!

8-)