Sign in to follow this  
fishingdog

Guntersville help

I will be coming down to fish Guntersville in March 2009. I know its early but this is the biggest tournament of my life and I've never been in your neck of the woods before.I have a good map on the way but with only 4 days of practice I need to spend my time wisely.Early March still has ice on my waters so I have nothing to draw on. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

Good and Bad

The Bad- EVERYTHING looks good, many many grass mats

The Good- Lots of Mats and cover for everyone.

Typically if you stay around the creeks that have mats and shoals, you will find fish.  Not telling you where they are, just telling you what to look for.  I'll be there in March as well.   ;)

Spring fishing on Guntersville is good fishing, I did well last spring throwing the xcalibur xr50 rayburn red rattle bait, that was in Mud Creek.

I have taken several trips in march and if a Kentucky boy can catch them you can. If you were fun fishing I would say go in the creeks likey Dry Creek but in a tournament if you want to do good fish the main lake. Ask anyone there the big stringers are on the main lake. Not that you cant catch big fish in the creeks I have but if there is a tournament in March usually 9 of the top 10 guys are fishing the main lake. Look for spawning areas off the main lake and look for grass flats in front of them but any structure could have fish on it in march. I dont know where you are putting in but closer to the dam fishes deeper than the mid lake are around N.Souty creek. So depth could be 1-15 probably no deeper than 15 ft.

My favorite march lure for finding fish is a rattletrap actually a royal shad (#1 color on guntersville) cordell spot either 3/4oz or 1/2oz. I also throw a 1-minus, spinnerbait, buzzbait, frog and crankbaits. I caught my biggest fish in march on a frog in matted grass in the back of a pocket. If there is a cold front fish any matted grass you can find there isnt alot in march but fish stack up under it use a frog or flip it. If its not cold cover water with a lippless crankbait and find em then throw whatever works best. Search bassmasters tournament results they had a couple march tournaments a couple years ago. Lippless crankbaits and jigs won it. One winner was Zell Rowland he fished Seabold creek which is between the dam and midlake area. He flipped docks with a jig and fished a lippless crankbait as well. The leader the first 3 days was E.Evers he fished Rosemary creek or something like that its that or a similar name its real close to goosepond colony on the map. Its a small creek right off the main lake. He fished a red lipless crankbait as well. Another top finished I cant his name he was Japanese Kiro something he fished Pine Island which is really a big hump out on the main lake not far below South Souty creek. He fished a deep diving crankbait about 10 ft deep on the main channel. He ripped his bait out of the grass and looked for underwater points in the grass. Dont ask how much random fishing info is in my head. The point is that there are several ways to fish the lake but the biggest fish will be closer to the mainlake. It should be noted the top finishers sometimes struggle the next year on this lake at the same time. Guntersville is more of a spot lake than pattern lake. Certain spots get hot one year and produce and go cold the next year. I have seen the grass grow think in a spot one year and be short in a spot the next year. In the spring especially year before last the area towards the main lake didnt have alot of grass in the spring when I was there and everybody fished the midlake area. The year before the top finishers were more towards the dam. If I could give one peace of advice it would be cover water and look for a couple key spots you can milk. Good luck hope this helps

So far you've all been a big help and it's helping me start to get a feel for what to expect. I appreciate any and all help and want to thank all of you guys for your responses. Poeple say fisherman keep to themselves but you guys prove them wrong! Thanks again and keep it coming!!!!

Just got back last week and did well in practice, Thanks to Wayne P.

First day of the tournament it dropped to 28 degrees and the fish moved

from the grass to deeper water. I went to the big bluff wall toward the dam and did well with a 1/2 oz spinner bait w/c. we still got beat pretty bad by the locals. Winning weight was 44lb and some change.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn and this place is nice for someone pulling a boat. Also be sure to eat at the Top Of The River restaurant across from the Hampton.