Sign in to follow this  
GLADES

Loxahatchee (Lox Rd)

I went out saturday afternoon. I caught 8 bass up to 4 lbs

and a 2 lb cichlid. Those cichlid's are a blast on light tackle.

The water was very clean and the depth seemed a little bit lower.

Water temp was 64-65 deg. Partly cloudy skies.

The spillway by the launch was closed.

The bigger fish were caught in the west canal using 5" storm shad swim baits casted right down the center of the canal west by the bend.

I went into the flats and checked out 2 cuts between the 2nd and 3rd spillway. The water was clean but the bass were aquarium sized that day. I used a 3" gold/black rapala and wat/red trick worms.

If the water managers dont mess this place up, it is going to be real good this spring.

Cool outing.  I haven't been out to Lox Rd. in years.  Ask the wife for a   for X-mas.

i fish lox at least once a week. the last sunday of every month there is a big fish tourny for $20 a man. the biggest sticks from down here are usually out there on that day. this sunday a 6 1/2 pounder took all of the loot. next time you go out there glades let me know and i will tell you where there is an amazing rocky ledge that usually holds a decent couple of fish. i got a 4.7 on sunday but it wasn't enough to to do anything. when the water gets a little lower and it is cloudy, that flats light up.

Here is a pic of one of the larger ones from saturday at lox.

post-7820-130162941807_thumb.jpg

never fished it were is it located it is it out on southern heading west toward glades.......

There are 3 entrances to the wildlife.

#1. SR 80 (Southern Blvd)  to 20 mile bend. Go over the bridge (on your left if headed west) and make immediate left. heading back east. Follow the road.

#2 SR7 to Lee Rd.(between Boynton Bch Blvd and Atlantic Ave.) Take Lee Rd. to the end.

#3. SR7 to Lox Rd. (1st rd out of Palm Beach County from Boca Raton) Take Lox Rd to end, about 5 miles. You will be back in Palm Beach County once you get to the end of Lox Rd.

#3 is off of Hillsboro. ;)

No it's not.  It' off right where I said it was off.

I've been to Loxahatchee a few times but it has never been productive for me. Could anyone that has experience here please help me?

1) What locations or the lake are most productive for you at this time of the year?

2) What lures, techniques?

I'm going to be taking my dad fishing there this next week, and it sucks to take him out and not catch a fish.  :'(

Help!

Im assuming you will be bringing a boat and motor along.

Bank fishing from Lox is really a waste of time. If you bank fish, use live shiners.

I would fish the flats between the 2nd and 3rd spilways heading west.

Lox is a tough place to fish, you really have to go there alot to figure it out. I live 20 minutes from there, and I still get skunked sometimes.

If you go into the flats, use your GPS. It is easy to get disoriented if you head deep into the sawgrass. Use flukes, worms, frogs, crankbaits.

If you are visiting from out of town with a boat and motor, I would head to the Holeylands(US27), Alligator alley(I-595), or Sawgrass(US27) instead.

It is easier and generally better fishing

I went to loxahatchee yesterday for 5-6 hours by myself and got skunked again. I really can't seem to figure out this place. I am really not from around here, so I've been trying different places (Lox, Lake Ida, Glades) with very limited success. I'm spending this time back home with my family so I'm trying to get some fishing done here and there but I'm yet to find a good place where to fish. I live in Gainesville and fish lakes up there with a lot more success.

With respect to my boat, I dont have a big boat (9' Pond Prowler with a 3.5 hp Mercury) but it gets me anywhere I want to go. I can really haul as* in this little boat.

My dad will be visiting in a few days and I can't find a place where to take him and catch fish. :(

I am really not looking to catch a monster. I just want to take my dad out and be able to catch anything. Any recommendations?

speed worm take your dad to the hillsboro canal. it is the canal that runs parallel to lox road. take powerline road to i believe 6th (it is the light just north of hillsboro blvd) go left (west). 3rd stop sign make a right. once in the water, head east to the golf course and start fishing. speed worms, frogs and senkos all work in here. also throw a rattle trap. there are peacoocks in there as well, but there are also some big bass. it is canal fishing, so fish the docks and all of the bridges. i have caught a bunch of fish there. it is usually where i go when i take my 4 year old with me. hope this helps.