Sign in to follow this  
booneangler

Place to stay near Buggs Island?

Just wondering if some of you could give me some info on somewhere to stay in or around Clarksville. Would like to come down some where around late April probably try to put in at Occoneechee State Park. Havent been there in 10 years. Any help would be appreciated. What is the water temp normally in late April?

I always stay in the Comfort Inn right at the Clarkesville Bridge.  It's just a normal hotel with decent prices.  Plenty of boat parking also.  

Your best bet is to contact the Clarksville Lake Country Chamber of Commerce, 800.557.5582, for information about lodging in Clarksville.

There are lots of places to stay in South Hill but you want to be close to Clarksville as Clarksville is close to the Occoneechee State Park.

There is a Best Western across from the Lake Motel so check out that motel, too.

Don't forget to stop by Bobcat's Lake Country tackle shop on Route 15 south of Clarksville.  It is worth the trip.  Ask if they have any special runs for Kerr.

And contact GMCO maps for a map of Kerr Reservoir if you do not have one.

Have fun and be safe.  :)

Occoneechee State Park also has plenty of cabins to rent out if you need extra room and they are super nice. They have heat/ac and pretty much everything else you need besides a tv, they sleep 6 people all for around $87.00 a night.

Here ya go. State website for all of the parks and info. You will find all the rates/phone numbers here.

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/index.shtml

I am pretty sure the phone nr. for reservations is on there some place but if you can't find it here it is: 1-800-933-park

As far as weather in April down that way it can be very unpredictable. I have seen snow some years and then the next it is so hot your in shorts and sweating big time.

Water levels can be crazy too. One year I couldn't go in April due to high water and all ramps were flooded and campgrounds full of water.

That was some time ago but it did happen. A lot depends on how much snow they get in the mountains and the spring thaw. They have to be careful with the flood gates at the dam flowing into Gaston since they have regulated levels.

I now spend my spring on Gaston and haven't been on Buggs in some time. Good luck.

Shortbasser

Occoneechee State Park also has plenty of cabins to rent out if you need extra room and they are super nice. They have heat/ac and pretty much everything else you need besides a tv, they sleep 6 people all for around $87.00 a night.

The cabins in Occoneechee are awesome....we stay there twice a year. The 'no TV thing' kinda sucks though, especially if you get rained out for a day during your stay.