Sign in to follow this  
Fishin Phil

Moving to Norfolk VA

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has any bass fishing spots down in Norfolk. I'm looking for anything whether it's a small pond in a little park or a larger lake/reservoir. If I can't find anything I'm just gonna learn to surf fish lol. Thanks

Congratulations on becoming a Virginian! ;D

Accustom yourself to the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries website.

Here is a link to the tidewater region map. I can see that it has 4 reservoirs or lakes listed for the City of Norfolk alone. I would imagine you are within driving distance of many more bodies of water as well.

I grew up in Chesapeake, VA and mostly fished neighborhood retention ponds and golf course ponds.  The best pond I've ever fished was on a golf course in Chesapeake.  It's called Seven Springs and it's located in the Las Gaviotas neighborhood.  They don't exactly welcome fisherman but I would ocassionally sneak out there.  I'm not familiar with the larger bodies of water in the area, but make sure you check out the local neighborhood ponds.  There are a ton in that area.  

I live in Virginia Beach and YES, there is plenty of fresh water fishing in this area.  All you hear about is the Salt water fishing but we "fresh" guys are alive and well.

Most of the water supply lakes have HP limits so if you have a full size bass rig you can't put in there.  There is good fishing off the Intercoastal waterway and that is where I spend my time.  I am not too familiar with the peninsula side of the area but if Micro happens to see this thread I am sure he will fill you in on all the areas over there.  

Once you get down here get a copy of the 2009 pamphlet, Freshwater fishing in Virgina.  It is full of good information.  You can also find it on the DGIF website as others have suggested.  

Shoot me a PM once you know when your going to get here and I'll be glad to help you get acquainted with the area on the south side of that "salty" water.

Shortbasser

Fishing from the shore is fun but if you want to learn the Virginia bass fisheries please consider joining a local bass club.

Check your your "Region" and contact the Region Director.

Here is the info:

www.vabass.com

www.vafederationnation.com

You will learn where to launch your boat and how to fish the local and statewide waters.  :)

If you aren't in the navy, make friends with someone who is. Cheatham annex naval weapons station out in yorktown has some of the best bass fishing ive found close to norfolk. Only about a 20 min. ride from the base.

14 bucks rents a john boat and trolling motor (take your own battery just in case) for a full 24 hours. they have 3 lakes you can fish on. Jones, cheatham, and one other one that i cant recall the name of. but all 3 produce decent size and amounts of bass.