Sign in to follow this  
CyBasser

Weighted Fat Ikas?

Hi everybody,

I am pretty sure this has been brought up before but I couldn't locate the thread.

Anyway, has anybody used the Fat Ikas rigged Texas style weighted? I enjoy using them weightless, but on windy days this can be a major problem for me as I have to fish from the shore and I don't have much control on how to position myself with prevailing winds. For example yesterday it was hopeless, as I could not understand whether the thing was slowly sinking or just floating in the wind induced currents.

I basically wonder whether the addition of the slightest weight (even 1/4oz or less) bullet sinker would alter their action, as I believe that slow tantalizing fall is what makes them work so well. Also, if used weighted, would it be better to have the bullet weight pegged or loose?

All comments welcome! Thanks!

CY, I have fished the ika weighted many times. It does MAYBE work better not weighted but I've had great results also with it weighted. I fish it weighted a lot because I get to restless waiting for the fall (one of my fishing downfalls ;)).

I catch a lot of my ika fish after it has made bottom contact or by slowly dragging it along the bottom so if your fish are biting that method a weight shouldn't matter.

If you want to speed up the rate of fall, try a split shot 3 or 4 " above the hook.

Ronnie

The Fat Ika is designed to be fished weightless.

but that doesn't mean it won't catch fish with a weight  :-?

That means that a weightless presentation is the "optimal" way to fish the bait.

That is the only way I fish it, but I think a C-rig would be a better choice than a T-rig if you want to fish deeper, quickly. I fish a T-rigged Gitzit when I am fishing a comparable profile deep. I don't think there is any reason a Fat Ika would not work, but I have not fished it that way.

IMO, with that much wind, other presentations will work better, such as spinnerbaits or crankbaits.

I do not fish a Fat Ika on a weighted Texas rig.  It becomes more like a regular flipping tubed when weighted, so I'd rather fish a tube and save the Fat Ikas for weightless fishing, which is when they are at their best IMO.

Brad

Add me into the group that would never fish this bait with a weight..........If I needed weight, I start switchin plastics but some plastics I ONLY fish weightless................and the Ika would be one of them..............Just my .02...................

Thanks for the replies guys... ;)

I guess I will stick to the weighless representation, though in suitable bottom condition I might give RW's suggestion for Carolina rigging a try ::)!!!