Sign in to follow this  
LAO162

Fat Ika & Skirted Grub Technique

Recently Roadwarrior has given some great descriptions on how to fish the Fat Ika.  Thanks, I'm looking forward to trying them this season  ;)

Is the same technique applicable the skirted double tail grubs?  If not, how would you fish the skirted grub, and in which situations.  Thanks :)

Leon

A hula grub ( double-tailed, skirted grub ) became one of my go-to baits once I started fishing it on a jighead, instead of t-rigging it.

I use Tru Tungsten's Iaconelli jighead, for the 4" and 5" GYCB grubs. I aslo got a few *** from a buddy to try. I'll be ordering some more of these from *** soon.

T-rigged, the hula grub was a hit or miss bait for me; mostly missed.

One the Ike's jighead, it's top producer. I almost always have one rod rigged with this.

Fish it the same places and the same way you would fish a t-rigged worm or craw.

I think the key to this bait is getting enough weight in front of it. It has quite a bit of resistance, so the fall is slow compared to say a worm with the same weight.

A pegged t-rig might work as well as the jighead, if you get enough weight on it.

Cheers,

GK

Thanks Ghoti, other than T-Rigged worms I'm new to jigs & other plastics.  Sounds like Scrubs should be part of the order for my "starter" kit.

As I read your description... do you think the jig heads work better because the weight causes the claws stand up from the bottom?

Cheers

I fish the double tails on a 1/2 -3/4 oz. football head.  Sometime I even go up to a 1 oz if I need to fish deeper water or cover water faster.  I like to throw it out, let it sink and then just slowly reel the bait in.  Try to keep bottom contact.  It mimics a crawfish extremely well.  This is top producer for smallmouth up here.  I also always try to paint my football heads to match my grub color.  

I fish the hula grub t-rigged and weightless around heavy vegetation and on a jig head in areas with less cover.  I've had more success with it on the jig head though.  For my actual method, I fish it a lot like a Senko.  Just let it sink, bring it back up and let it sink again.  I've had my most success with smallies using that particular lure/method than anything else to date.

A hula grub ( double-tailed, skirted grub ) became one of my go-to baits once I started fishing it on a jighead, instead of t-rigging it.

I use Tru Tungsten's Iaconelli jighead, for the 4" and 5" GYCB grubs. I aslo got a few *** from a buddy to try. I'll be ordering some more of these from *** soon.

T-rigged, the hula grub was a hit or miss bait for me; mostly missed.

One the Ike's jighead, it's top producer. I almost always have one rod rigged with this.

Fish it the same places and the same way you would fish a t-rigged worm or craw.

I think the key to this bait is getting enough weight in front of it. It has quite a bit of resistance, so the fall is slow compared to say a worm with the same weight.

A pegged t-rig might work as well as the jighead, if you get enough weight on it.

Cheers,

GK

Ike has 3 jig heads which one do u use?

I too fish the DT hula grub with a TruTungsten Jig head.  I like the Weed Wacker the best.  My only complaint with these jig head is that the wire for the hook is not as strong as I would like.  I have had a few break on me.

LAO162, with an unpegged t-rig, the bait has so much resistance that the weight slides quickly down the line, leaving the bait to just drift down, with little or no action. It has to drop fast enough to make the tails wiggle to get bit. I could not buy a bite on a t-rigged hula grub. I haven't tried pegging the weight. It works so well on the jighead that I don't fish it any other way.

Spiroh, I use both the Ike's spike and the Weed Whacker heads in 3/16 and 1/4oz. These weights give the right action on the fall. I like these heads because of the shape of the hook. I really don't like the price, and if I could find that hook with a lead head, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

I now have a selection of football heads to try these baits on. No comment yet, I haven't had a chance to use them.

Cheers,

GK

Great explanation, Thanks!