Sign in to follow this  
Little Luey

Soft plastic bait colors

I was wondering why is it that there are colors of baits that really do not look like any fish or any other live animal.

The watermelon color senko for instance, with different color specs on them; the roboworms have purple, gray, blue and black on one worm. How about charteouse (sp)?

What are this combinations supposed to imitate or what is the deal with colors like that? I have a hard time relate those colors to anything a fish may eat in a lake.

I can undestand the "natural" colors, bluegill, shad etc.

Can someone help me out please?

Because people will buy them.  Have you ever seen a pink fish?

Because people will buy them. Have you ever seen a pink fish?

that is what I mean, and yet, I have cought bass on that chartrouse color and the roboworms I described; so I know they can catch fish, I just don't know that the fish is seeing or if they strike simply because a smaller "animal" is in front of them.

I believe if the water color is clear enough for the fish to see the bait ...they will bite it if they're in the mood.  If the fish aren't wanting to bite it doesn't matter what you throw.  Alot of the colors are for marketing.

There was an article in one of the magazines in the last few months that talked about the "flecks" that are in soft plastic - the person writing the article talked about how the color of the bait dissappeared in the water and the black flecks (in this case) took on the appearance of a school of fry.  What I have learned is that the color above water is not necessaryily the color that the fish sees.  Who ever heard of a purple worm, but it has been a mainstay since I was a kid.  Some times you just gotta try it.

What are this combinations supposed to imitate or what is the deal with colors like that? I have a hard time relate those colors to anything a fish may eat in a lake.

Lures do not have to be imitative to be effective, they have to appeal to the bass' senses. I've never seen a color, soft plastics or other lures, that don't catch fish.

Additionally, many people, including me, don't think color is high on the list of factors that fish consider in striking a lure.

If it looks like food and they are hungry ,it doesn't matter what color it is.

Later this year get a mask on and take a dive with some of your favorite colors to see what they really look like underwater.  Red goes dark gray pretty quick and chartreuse becomes a really bright white.  Don't drown.

If it looks interesting a bass will likely check it out and I have never seen a bass that had hands and arms to pick it up and feel it.

Later this year get a mask on and take a dive with some of your favorite colors to see what they really look like underwater. Red goes dark gray pretty quick and chartreuse becomes a really bright white. Don't drown.

Great idea! I will try it. Thanks

If it looks interesting a bass will likely check it out and I have never seen a bass that had hands and arms to pick it up and feel it.

Makes sence to me,  I guess that is how the handle objects.

Bass and other predator fish are opportunistic feeders.  They will basically anything that moves and that they can get in their mouths.  As an example, they have albino trout at the BPS near me.  Actually seeing an albino trout in the wild is very rare because the color does not camoflage the trout.  Instead it sticks out and gets eaten even though the white color is not the "normal" baitfish color.

As an angler a lot of times your want your lure to stand out (different color, different size, different motion) from the swarms of baitfish or from the cover that you are fishing.  The bass will key on the "fish" that is different and go for it because if it was a real baitfish it would likely have something wrong with it and therefore be easier prey.

Later this year get a mask on and take a dive with some of your favorite colors to see what they really look like underwater.  Red goes dark gray pretty quick and chartreuse becomes a really bright white.  Don't drown.

Hi!

We took it too in Europe, but we tried several colours of water, and every colour looked else in several coloured water...

Another question: Can bass watch colours? Or the seeing of the bass is just in greyscale?

It is very inportant question, beacause the the seeing of the dog is greyscale.