Sign in to follow this  
BassFishingMachine

Walk The Dog Baits

Ok, I have fished with "Walk The Dog Baits" such as zara spooks and LC Sammy and never really had much luck with them. So I have a couple questions regarding fishing this bait.

First, how do you fish them, I believe I have the "walking" method down, meaning I can make the bait walk without a problem but do you give it a pause here and there or do you just keep it walking steadily with no pause?

And secondly, when do you choose a walk the dog bait over another type of topwater such as a pop-r or buzzbait etc.

I think its more like where you fish these baits. I fish them in clear water and I'm usually calling up bigger than average size bass.

Also, I use a floating tube bait as a walk the dog bait when the bass are really finicky. the tentacles continue to move when the bait sits.

I add pauses about every 2' but I let the mood of the fish decide. These work better for me when the fish are more aggressive as opposed to a popper. The Gunfish 95 is by far my best walking bait as it is a cross between a popper and spook which really works in a river with current.

Allen

I usually walk the dog over shallow weed flats with no pauses.  Just a slow cadence for a wider side to side motion.  I've never done well when I put a pause in the action, just my .02 cent.

We experiment until we find what's working that day, but pauses, if any, are short in duration.  Started throwing a Rapala Skitterwalk last year and found it to be very effective on river Smallies.  We also like the Spittin' Image and the Rebel Jumpin Minnow.

I use the sammy chartuse (if that's spelled right)......catch alot of fish on points. Always walk without pause on first few casts......then I twitch 2 times reel slack in and do over. The twitch twice with pause seem to produce more fish. I fish on Lake Martin and water is pretty clear for the most part.....this method I use works with wind and no wind.....so find a point and give it a try......BUT WATCH OUT FOR STRIPE!