Sign in to follow this  
nralover

Help me with lure choices?

Fishing tomorrow- what should I be throwing? We have had two days of rain and winds, but tomorrow will be low 70's and sunny with very little wind. I will be fishing a small lake (about 16 acres) with a maximum depth of 30 or so feet. I am sure the water will be stained, but this lake has good cover in the form of brush piles both in shallow coves and in the deeper areas, as well as some large rocks on the dam. What do you recommend?

Whatever you have confidence in.

Confidence is 90% of it.

Fluke why do you have to be right all the time?! ;D

I'd recommend a Rapala jointed shad rap.  It is one of the most dependable and versatile baits I've ever used. (in my humble opinion.)

Fishing tomorrow- what should I be throwing? We have had two days of rain and winds, but tomorrow will be low 70's and sunny with very little wind. I will be fishing a small lake (about 16 acres) with a maximum depth of 30 or so feet. I am sure the water will be stained, but this lake has good cover in the form of brush piles both in shallow coves and in the deeper areas, as well as some large rocks on the dam. What do you recommend?

What lake will you be fishing?

Whatever you have confidence in.

Confidence is 90% of it.

X2  :)

Just my local conservation lake. It has a good population of bass and bluegill, and some of the biggest shellcrackers I have seen. Those redear are frequently 11-12 inches.

What lake will you be fishing?

I'd recommend casting spinnerbaits towards the sides of cover and into the coves, flipping/pitching beavers, jigs or any other pegged creaturebait into the brush. Remember to use dark colors such as black/blue, black, black/red etc. If the water is just a little stained and nothing serious I'd use white/chart for spinnerbait, but if its real bad I'd use all chart on the spinnerbait or black. And about the confidence thing, just use the creature/spinnerbait that your confident in, good luck :).

Would this be Busch Wildlife?

No sir. I would like to go up there some time, but it is south of there in a little town called Festus.

Sounds like you are asking us what baits we would have the most confidence in, if I am reading your post correctly.  If the fish are thru with the spawn, fish the drops and bottom changes nearest to the spawning areas with Jig'n'craw or tx rig worms. To locate them quickly might use a chatterbait style swimming jig with a longer trailer than usual as this time of year they like a mouthful to get back healthy. Small cranks are good locators and hammer time as well. Small lakes are normally easy to disturb with your presence so keep things calm and quiet as possible.

Top water early or late going to fluke style baits then to deeper sub surface as the day progresses.

Good fishin

Big O