Sign in to follow this  
Replica.

Open-Wheel Racing

This is sorta a unification though neither series is in good condition right now.  

Prior to the split in 1996, OW racing was bigger than Nascar.  

To me champ car had better drivers. I was like 11 when they split and didn't love open wheel as munch as I do now. To me indy is pretty boreing. I really liked champ car becasue they turned right more then left.

According to Tony George on Wind Tunnel last night, the new IRL will look alot like the CART of the 90's.

Why the guy just didn't buy the CART owners out years ago is beyond me.  His little power play to takeover has cost OW racing dearly.  

This is sorta a unification though neither series is in good condition right now.

Not tryin to start anything but thats the funniest thing I've heard today but then again I've only been up a little while...

I think NASCAR has and always will be bigger than OW racing because people can relate more to the cars and the drivers. The OW machines are exotic and foriegn looking, whereas the NASCAR cars at least look like something you might see on the street (sans all the elaborate paint/decals/advertising). I also think that NASCAR drivers being able to "swap paint" makes for more exciting racing. Two OW cars even touch each other and there's USUALLY a horrendous crash (which satisfies someone who is only watching for that kind of thing). Don't get me wrong, I love OW racing too, but after INDY is over, I kinda loose interest in the rest of the season. IMO:o)

I just don't get the point of open-wheel racing.  It adds an unnecessary level of danger to racing.  Take the same technology and put it in a real car and it might be interesting.  As it is, there is nothing as boring to me as open wheel racing.

My first cousin has drove in 5 indy 500's raced Nascar trucks and tested a cup car.  He says there is nothing like driving an indy car. It's like compareing an F-16 to a bi plane.

I love the open wheel racing.

It is fast and exciting.

I go to the Indy 500 but the cars go by so fast you have to watch the infield TV to see what is happening.

I like NASCAR, too.  JJ, Rainbow Warrior and Carl Edwards are my favorites, with Stewart and Junior a close second.

Not tryin to start anything but thats the funniest thing I've heard today but then again I've only been up a little while...

1995 - Indy 500 ratings (the year before the split)  around a 9.5

Daytona 500 ratings, same year  around a 5.5

1996 - Indy 500 ratings (first year of the split)  around a 6.0

Daytona 500, same year    around a 9.5

It's well known that Bill France was instrumental in convincing Tony George (owner of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway) to start his own racing series.  I wonder why.  

;)

I just don't get the point of open-wheel racing.  It adds an unnecessary level of danger to racing.  Take the same technology and put it in a real car and it might be interesting.  As it is, there is nothing as boring to me as open wheel racing.

To be fair.  All automobile racing has a level of danger involved.  What set OW Indycar racing apart from Nascar was the amount of safety that OW has built into their cars over the years along with having the best safety medical team in the business.  Nascar would love for you to believe that they invented the SAFER barrier and the hans device but that's not true.  Both of those life saving devices were designed, tested and used in OW racing.  To be honest, NASCAR has resisted safety innovations for years.  One of their most ridiculous traditions, racing back to the yellow, was about as dangerous as you can get for a driver in trouble along with the safety crew waiting to get to him.   Nascar still doesn't have an on-site medical crew at their races and instead, relys on local paramedics to perform the work on their races.  

As for what's boring?  It's all in the eye of the beholder.  I can just as easily say cars driving around in a circle for 4 + hours is boring.  Many would agree.  To each his own.

1995 - Indy 500 ratings (the year before the split) around a 9.5

Daytona 500 ratings, same year around a 5.5

1996 - Indy 500 ratings (first year of the split) around a 6.0

Daytona 500, same year around a 9.5

It's well known that Bill France was instrumental in convincing Tony George (owner of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway) to start his own racing series. I wonder why.

;)

Mr Carp I guess next your gonna try to tell me that boogity boogity boogity guy used to a driver ;) ;D

I cant wait for the OW season to start now. I have always been a huge OW fan, and was really upset when they split. I am so glad there back togethor again, and hopefully in a year or 2 things will be back to normal.

I see if this dons't work it will be the death of open wheel in america. We don't even have a f1 race any more. F1 has said they don't see one coming back for the forseeble future. Now thats sad.  So it looks like iam going to turn to road racing and drag racing this summer.

I see if this dons't work it will be the death of open wheel in america. We don't even have a f1 race any more. F1 has said they don't see one coming back for the forseeble future. Now thats sad.  So it looks like iam going to turn to road racing and drag racing this summer.

Tipp, Don't fret over Formula Bernie no longer coming to this country.  Tony George and IMS was losing money on that deal anyway.  

Bernie is now into extorting as much money as possible from anyone he can anywhere.  Want an F1 race?  Build a gozillion dollar track, pay Bernie another gozillion dollars and he'll be happy to drop real race tracks like Spa or the ring just to cash your check.

It's a much better series since Herr Schumacher isn't driving away from the field each week but it's completely losing all sense of reality and shutting off it's old fanbase by turning to races in countries willing to pay his ransom.

You know carp thats so true. How many tracks have you seen pop up around the world in the last few years? It seems like they get a f1 race right away.

I have also heard that the cost of bringing all there stuff over here is one of many reason they don't come to america any more. The biggest reason I have heard over the years is the fan base. The race always sells out. But the tv ratings killed it. Well I guess if fox put up agianst nascar, golf, indy, people being gone with the family. Of course no one is going to watch it.