Sign in to follow this  
Tokyo Tony

Credit Card fraud

Hey guys, I wonder if you have any advice for me...

I just realized today that about two months ago some d-bag, somehow, got my credit card info (my Cabela's card) and has been buying gas with it. I know I'm a freakin' idiot for not realizing sooner, but I usually just just scan my credit card bills and when I see gas, it doesn't set off any alarm. And that's precisely why this person has only been buying gas. Big mistake on my part for not catching it sooner, but it's a lesson learned for sure.

First of all, how the hell does someone steal my info? Do they have scanners that can make a copy of my card? You'd have to have an actual card to pay at the pump.

I called customer service, cancelled my numbers, and they're sending me a fraud pamphlet that I have to fill out. After work I'm going to that gas station (I've never been there) to ask about their security videos. Hopefully they don't just do a 24 hour loop, although I'm not feeling optimistic about that - the d-bag probably scoped it all out beforehand.

Have any of you experienced this, and what do you think my chances are of getting refunded? It was over $400 worth over two months. I noticed it because I filled up my tank (50 bucks) one day, and the next day there was gas, another 50 bucks on my statement, which I would not have been able to do unless I drove ~6 hours in between. One of the charges was May 10th, and I was in MA fishing Quabbin with cigarlover.

Any advice?

Thanks guys.

I'm sure the credit card company will take care of you they from what I have seen don't take fraud lightly.  Not being a smart elic but I would cut the thing up and get rid of it permently myself.  I don't have CC and don't like them.   It will be one less thing you have to worry about

There's a number of ways he/she could have gotten your credit card numbers.

Chance of you getting the money back is probably small to none unless you can prove you didn't make that purchase.However if you haven't paid the bill yet the credit card company will probably clear that part up.Scam is not taken lightly so hopefully he'll get caught.

Since you canceled the card now hopefully if whoever has your number tries to use it again,they'll catch him while trying to use it right there at the pump.

I'm heading to the gas station after work, and I'm hoping that they have video recordings that go back a few days at least. That would prove it, and hopefully nail the f'er. It's just an unsettling feeling knowing someone has been spending your hard-earned money. I really hope to get at least a partial reimbursement, especially because I'm a good customer - I put everything on that card   8-)

In my experience with credit card fraud, call the number on the back of your card.  Tell them the story, tell them exactly what transactions were fraud, and you should be 100% not responsible for those charges.  I have done that twice, and went very smoothly.  That was with VISA.  I believe that the cabelas card is a VISA, too.  Give that a shot.

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it turns out.

As for now, I'm gonna go wade for some monster stripers to ease my mind  ;D

Tight lines this weekend!

Don't get too worked up about it.  I've had it happen 4 times.  Everytime it gets resolved very quickly and I get 100% of my $$$ back.  

I've had it happen twice now - the last one was 2 weeks ago.  As Branuss04 said, the credit card company should take care of you.  Most likely they'll close the account and issue you a new card with the corrected balance.  It's a big pain in the butt if you have recurring payments on that card because you'll need to change everything over to the new card.

How did they get the number?  There's all kinds of ways - from dumpster diving for reciepts to hacking databases, they look everywhere.  I'm extremely diligent with my CC info (shredding statements, blocking out numbers on reciepts, using it sparingly, etc.) but in both cases they got the numbers from databases that were sold on the black market.  There's only so much you can do.  :-/

Also be aware of any funny transactions @ the gas stations.If you use your debit card or go inside and the clerk swipes it twice be suspicious of that.I know somebody who actually swipes somebody's card twice and use it at a later time.Once they get those numbers it's pretty much over.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm just waiting for the fraud packet to arrive so I can fill it out. I'm definitely going to keep a closer watch on my statements now.

Whoever this piece of crap is that has my info, I just want to kick him in the throat. As Vincent said in Pulp Fiction, "It woulda been worth him doin it if I coulda caught him doin it."  8-)