Sign in to follow this  
burleytog

USB flash drives

These little things are amazing.  2GB that I can safely carry in my pocket.  Also allows me to have a very small footprint on the machines at work.  I'm surfing right now using Firefox on the drive, rather than the machine's browser.

The rate at which technology is passing me by is dizzying.   :-[

Hah they are pretty sweet. My cellphone takes up to 4gb microsd, which doubles as a USB flash drive. I keep all kinds of music and pictures and stuff on there, plus some emergency stuff incase my computer crashes.

Ive got a one GB that I use for school that works really well. I got my mom to use on her digital picture frame thing for mothers day. It holds most of our memorable pics. Your right technology is getting out there lol.

"Open the Flash drive Hal."

"I'm sorry Burley, I cannot do that."

10 years ago I stayed at the leading edge of tech.  Now I'm so far behind I doubt I'll ever see more than the brake lights again.

This little drive and U3 is what I've wanted for a long time.

Does the U3 work with vista yet? I think you need an update or something?

There are some small Linux distributions that are small enough to install on a USB drive.  Then you just plug it into whatever computer you are using and... viola...any computer you use is "your" computer.  All of your files, preferences, installed programs etc.  The one that stands out is DSL (d**n Small Linux) but there are also others available.  I haven't used that particular one, but I am a huge fan of Linux.  No more Microsoft for my home computing (although I am forced to use it at work).

I got a 1gig flashdrive for free from buy.com when they were on sale and there was a google checkout $10 instant rebate. Pretty sweet deal.

This is very funny to me. I have this robotic survey instrument that gets VERY temperamental sometimes. My crew named it "HAL" a long time ago. When we get to the job it's alway "put HAL together and get set up. LOL

On topic, I have a USB gizmo the size of a CF card that accepts them as media. Still very small (fits in the watch pocket of my Levis) and unlimited data transport. I have several cards. I am lovin it.

Ronnie

I got a laugh out of this.  Nice to know there are others out there.