Sign in to follow this  
Fish Man

volkswagon golf

Ill be turning 16 in just over a month and im looking for a car. Right now im trying to get a golf but my parents think they are to small,. From what ive read on the internet and heard from my friends they are pretty safe. Does anybody have any experiance with these cars and would you recomend them?

thanks, Logan

They aren't all that small, and they are just as safe as any other car.  The key to surviving is not to get hit.  Kinda like taking a punch.

I like VWs to an extent, and German cars in general, but they have their issues.  www.vwvortex.com

Anthony

I am a ASE Certified Master Tech. I would not buy a VW product under any surcumstance. They are weak and have many nagging issues. Buy either a Honda or Toyota product for a starter car. Or you can get a first car like the one I had, a 1969 SS396 4spd Nova....Not a good choice, but man was it cool. 8-)  

I am a ASE Certified Master Tech. I would not buy a VW product under any surcumstance. They are weak and have many nagging issues. Buy either a Honda or Toyota product for a starter car. Or you can get a first car like the one I had, a 1969 SS396 4spd Nova....Not a good choice, but man was it cool. 8-)

My wife is on her 4th Volkswagen... No problems with any of them.

;D Her 4th..............She should be on her first. My dad is still driving a 1989 Camery, no problems and gets 32 MPG.

Subaru 2.5 rs awd reliable 4 door practical aftermarket support. Good looking with minor mods great mileage what else can I say. My first car will be a subie or honda

I think a subaru is a bad first car for a kid. If his paretns are smart they would say no to any thing with a v-6, v-8, turbo, or a supercharger. Iam sure the parents don't want to pay over 400 a month for insurance. Plus theres many other reasons. I have no problems with turbos or any thing else with power. I own a srt-4 for crying out loud. Its just not useful to a 16 year old male with friends in the car. Plus iam sure the parents wont like paying for at least 89 octane gas. But I would look at the the auto makers 4 bangers out there. It seems like they all get at lest 30 plus a gallon now.

I drive nothing but VW's....and my Ford Truck

The Golf is a great car.

I had a '97 GTI....and was rear ended by someone doing about 40 mph and was sandwiched into the back of a cavalier.

The car that hit me was a Buick Regal....both the Regal and the Cavalier were written off.

I drove to the reporting centre then to the VW Dealership....

The cop that showed up at the accident called me later and told me he bought his daughter a VW Golf based on how I and my car fared.

I was sore as hell for a week or so....But it could have been way worse.

I drive about 100 000 miles a year and have never had an issue with any VW....

my brother in law is all about vw he a has a gti 1.8t  and whoops on it, but he still has his 1992 gti in the garage from when it was new and his first car it has alot of miles on it and some wear and tear but still clean looking and his wife has vw toureg for a year now and still no problems with it.

now that's out of the way, I drove eclipses for years and there great alittle costly on insurance but very reliable, and if I wouldn't beat the heck out of everything they would last  ;)

;D Her 4th..............She should be on her first. My dad is still driving a 1989 Camery, no problems and gets 32 MPG.

Yeah thanx. One was totaled when she let her mom borrow it, and the other got plowed into in front of the house one morning. Other than that.......

I think a subaru is a bad first car for a kid. If his paretns are smart they would say no to any thing with a v-6, v-8, turbo, or a supercharger. Iam sure the parents don't want to pay over 400 a month for insurance. Plus theres many other reasons. I have no problems with turbos or any thing else with power. I own a srt-4 for crying out loud. Its just not useful to a 16 year old male with friends in the car. Plus iam sure the parents wont like paying for at least 89 octane gas. But I would look at the the auto makers 4 bangers out there. It seems like they all get at lest 30 plus a gallon now.

I know my subies and a 2.5 rs is not turboed :-X

sorry that my mistake. Iam really not a subaru fan.

sorry that my mistake. Iam really not a subaru fan.

There quick cars especially with so few modifications.

now that's out of the way, I drove eclipses for years and there great alittle costly on insurance but very reliable, and if I wouldn't beat the heck out of everything they would last ;)

Fun to drive, YES! Fun to fix, NO!

I have a VW Jetta 2002.5 with all the cool mods (Chip, Diverter Valve, Tiptronic Chip, etc.) and 265 WHP. I waited till my warranty ran out before modding, but I can tell you this I WOULD NEVER BUY ANOTHER VW OR AUDI PRODUCT! Too many issues, I have become a VW expert cause of all the flaws. I even have a -COM to diagnose problems and resolve them myself.

I second the vwvortex.com forum. You'll see tons of issues with the Transmissions and electrical problems. I guess that's what happens when German Engineering is assembled in Mexico!!

But if you insist on VW they are safe, fuel efficient cars! Avoid a loaded car with tons of electrical extras, avoid at all cost the tiptronic tranny or CVT. Stick with a manual tranny and the bullet proof 2.0L, 1..8T, 2.0T engines.

My next car is either a Toyota or Honda Product!

i had  a 99 jetta .... i loved that car ... i put a ton of miles on that thing ,, all i ever did was oil changes ....