Sign in to follow this  
Jake P

Brake dust!!!

Im not 100% sure thats what it is but im cleaning off my front rims every 3-5 days because they turn so black from all of the crap. Is this brake dust? is it the brand of brakes causing the issue? Solutions?

Yep thats what it is. All of them do it and especially the Ford. I have two fairly new Fords and both of their rims look like crap in two weeks if I don't clean them.

BRAKE DUST?????? I THINK I DID THAT IN THE 60'S. OOPPSSS !

SORRY I MISUNDERSTOOD THE QUESTION, my mistake  

Brake dust shield. I have them on my SUV. Keeps them as clean as the back rims.

10 to 1 says you have a Ford.  I had a '04 F-150 and the stock brake pads were terrible!  The brake dust was something else!!!  >:(   Just upgrade your brakes to something a little more higher end and bye-bye brake dust.

I drive a Ford, but my sister drives a Jeep and hers are just as bad. The brake dust shields will solve all your problems. All you do is slide them on before your wheel. Mine ran about $35.

I drive a Ford, but my sister drives a Jeep and hers are just as bad. The brake dust shields will solve all your problems. All you do is slide them on before your wheel. Mine ran about $35.

Thanks, i looked into it and im heading out tomorrow to get some.

10 to 1 says you have a Ford.  I had a '04 F-150 and the stock brake pads were terrible!  The brake dust was something else!!!  >:(   Just upgrade your brakes to something a little more higher end and bye-bye brake dust.

Ford?  .......Dodge  8-).

I suggest replacing the pads with a good set of ceramics, instead of installing the brake dust shields. Main reason is the wheels help to ventilate the brakes while stopping. By installing the plastic cover between the wheel and the hub you are reducing air flow to the brakes. Hot brakes stop a car slower than cooler brakes. They may also reduce the longevity of the brakes.

BMW's are the worst for brake dust.

I can agree to that I work in sight of BMW's greenville plant, and after seeing the people on the test track I can really agree they are horrible looking.

-searoach

I agree with just up grading your brakes. I have high performance breaks on all four corners on my car. So you know my back disc are bigger then almost all front break on cars today. I have driven a few cars with factory wheels. You know them big black one with little 1 inch holes ever were. I can tell you after driving for a little bit I could fell a soft pedal. So the dust shields would do that same thing. But for the money go and buy both the large and small power balls. I belive they will cost about 40 dollers. I have the larger one. I should have gotten the small one also. It took me about 30 minns with the power wheel to clean my rims. Were it use to take me about a hour. Also think about this if your wheels are coverd with break dust. When you go try to sell your car or truck it will take away from the money you will get for it. So you do try to clean the rims when you sell it have fun cleaning them. Your going to need a few days and sand paper. That stuff will cake on there and also rust. I view it as every day mantience. Every time I wash the car I wash the rims.