Sign in to follow this  
quant PT

Proud of our Firefighter

My oldest son ( 18 years old) joined the local volunteer fire department several months ago.  Due to low turnover, he was a member, but did not get any gear.  At times he was discouraged but he stuck with it.   Well he got his gear last week, and last night we had a very large fire where an old house burned to the ground.  The house was abandoned, and no one was hurt, but it was right next to a lot of retail and restaurants and it has been extremely dry here.  The fire was so big you could see it from miles away.  Definitely the biggest fire this area has seen in years   He actually got to go into the fire with a hose so he was pumped.  

He is also working 60+ hours a week as an ambulance driver and will start his first year at Clemson University on a full Army ROTC scholarship.  In what little free time he has, he loves to hunt and fish.  

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm bragging, I'm just proud of him and wanted to share it with y'all.  It's so easy for kids to get mixed up in all kinds of trouble, and I'm convinced that hunting and fishing helps point kids in the right direction.

That is cool. I was a volunteer firefighter for 7 years, and it was exciting at times.  I also do ambulance.  Between the two of those many other doors of opportunity will come to him.

That's great!  Through the years I have heard alot of reasons why people don't join in volunteering.  Biggest being is that they don't have time.  No one has time, but when people need real help, someone has to make the time.  Congratulations to him and you. ;)

Brag away my friend!!!! I'd be disappointed if you didn't brag about such a fine young man.

Falcon

Brag all you want! Your son is THE MAN!

My son had a similar experience at Kenyon College. He was the EMT for a six county volunteer fire department, in addition to his fireman tranining. In his "spare time" he was a full-time student and graduated with degrees in both Anthropology and Molecular Biology.

Two weeks ago was my son's first day at medical school.

8-)

You have every right to brag about your son. Most kids 18 wouldnt run into a fire if you paid them. Your son is doing it for free. That really says alot about a person.

I'm on our local volunteer fire department, and I've got to meet some good young men.  18-20 year old guys who have the maturity that some middle-aged men lack.

Next week, when your son finally comes down off the adrenaline rush, tell him we're all proud of him.

Thanks for all of the kind words guys.  I had my wife read what everyone wrote and she started crying.  This isn't just the best fishing site on the net - its the best site on the net period!   :)