Sign in to follow this  
Fisher of Men

Youth Golf Sets

I have recently decided to get back into golf a little.  I haven't played for over three years and was hitting some balls the other day and my nine year old daughter picked up a 7 wood and started hitting some.  She didn't do half bad, but the club seemed too long for her.  Have any of you purchased youth clubs before and is there anything I should look for (brand, quality, etc.)?  Here are two sets that I found (of course the pink one would be right up her alley):

http://www.amazon.com/Texan-Classics-Junior-Tour-stand/dp/B001CXACGG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1219755753&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Golf-Girl-Junior-Ages-Stand/dp/B000KH1BF6/ref=pd_sim_sg_c1_15

Like any other hobby for children, I don't want to spend much more than this in case she loses interest.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, any advice on teaching her to golf might be helpful.  She and I are equally hard-headed and she tried to resist any pointers I offered.

What about a lesson or two from a golf pro?

Thanks,

Fisher

Is this her dream  or just an infatuation ?

Buy her a starter set.

Ask her if you would like a few lessons from a pro.

Maybe Tiger will let you borrow his for a couple of months,

he's not using them!

:D

Is this her dream or just an infatuation ?

Buy her a starter set.

Ask her if you would like a few lessons from a pro.

It's probably my infatuation. If she could only make it on the LPGA tour, I might have a pretty good retired life. 8-)

Believe me, I know my daughter. She has tried the guitar and piano and quit both (no different than I as a youngster). I would never invest much into it until I know she's serious about it.

I thought these were starter sets.  If you mean individual kids' clubs, at $10 a piece, I'd already be up to 30 bucks for a putter, iron, and driver.  I might as well spring for the other 20 and get a bag and a couple of more clubs included.

US Kids makes some of the best junior clubs.  They make a 9 iron with a special grip that forces you to grip the club correctly ( I believe its called a training club).  I would buy one of these and a US Kids putter and let her start with that.  You may find some US Kids clubs on ebay as well.  Their clubs are sized for every 6" of height and are color coded  ( the girls clubs are in girl colors like pink, purple etc.).  

Lessons are very important.  Kids never like listening to their parents  ;) , and most parents are not qualified to give golf advice.  If your Daughter starts off with bad habits they will be very hard to break.  Ask around to find a club that has a pro who is good with juniors.  Call your local AJGA ( American Junior Golf Association),and they may be able to point you in the right direction.  

My son is a very good junior golfer so I have been through all of this and would be glad to help you any way I can.  

go to your local pro and have her measured

club fitting is one of the most important steps in golf

with improper fitting bad habits that take a lifetime to fix will set in