Sign in to follow this  
Hookemdown.

No Doves in Dixie

Any dove hunters around? The season around here is really screwed up this year. Only a few Milo (sorghum) fields have been cut. Virtually zero corn fields are cut.

I've got a case of shells with no home.

I'm going crazy.

Come up to Ky I have doves all over.  I set out a couple of dove decoys in my backyard on the fence and they come in all the time.  But as of last sat I'm after the fall turkey.  

No Doves in S. Florida until Oct 6. , our 1st phase of dove season doesn't start until then  >:(.  

My buddy and I have been out to our private field in Okeechobee and its full of Eurasian doves and a few local mournings, counted 165 on the power ines two weeks ago.  Cool thing about it is that Eurasian doves are an invasive species and there is no bag limit. We get the occasional white wing later in the season and when the cold fronts start pushing down the bigger migratory mournings, start flying.  

There are plenty down here in the Houston area. Lots of Whitewings out of old Mexico also.

Yep. I need to go soon! I've just been REALLY busy! :-/ :-/

-Ike

Never been dove hunting.  Would like to try it some time though.

I like any opportunity to take the ol' 870 out.

Told my sweetie in mid August, "you can tell dove season is coming",

She asked how i knew that.    I told her the dove population has moved into town on the highwires where its safe.

WE have lots of dove in parts of Texas.    Trouble is, too much rain as of late, so the birds aren't hitting the tanks and other haunts they fly to.    Scattered out.

Did well on opening day.  Has been getting quite cool here and they won't be around much.  We have had some frost already.

Did well on opening day. Has been getting quite cool here and they won't be around much. We have had some frost already.

It's aggravating, but I don't think it's going to hurt the season too bad.  The birds are still here, we just can't get to them!