Sign in to follow this  
preach4bass

President Bush Dodging Shoes In Iraq

Did ya'll see the video of a reporter in Iraq throwing two shoes at President Bush during a press confrence?  He ducked, to avoid being hit.  So, since he wasn't hurt, and even joked about it himself, I can say that was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. ;D

the bottom of shoes are "dirty." In many Muslim cultures, showing someone the bottom of your shoe, or hitting them with it is a sign of great disrespect.

the bottom of shoes are "dirty." In many Muslim cultures, showing someone the bottom of your shoe, or hitting them with it is a sign of great disrespect.

Dan,

I don't know any culture where hitting someone with a shoe is a sign of respect. ;D

Lol, you know what I mean. It's symbolic. That's why they beat the statues of Saddam with their shoes.

Dan,

I don't know any culture where hitting someone with a shoe is a sign of respect. ;D

IN MEMPHIS: If someone throws a shoe at you means you got SOUL 8-)

Here ya go Muddy:

"So that's what they mean by dodging reporters!" ;D

Ok, I better leave those to you. ;)

Bush has the reflex's of a spider monkey.

That about sums it up!!

I thought this was hilarious.

I thought Bush was pretty nimble.  If he had had a baseball glove he would have caught both the shoes.  But then, the shoes could have also been hand grenades.

Having lived in the Middle East for a number of years, I concur with Dominion Dan's statement that showing the bottom of your shoe is one of the highest forms of insult.  My first transgression took place when I lived in Dubai.  I had just finished a meal at local restaurant and was sitting with one leg crossed on top of the other.  Unfortunately, the bottom of my shoe was pointed at one of the Arab patrons.  To my great good fortune, he had been educated in the West and calmly explained to me what I had done. I apologized profusely and made a hasty departure.  My second (and last) transgression occurred when I lived in Iran.  I was talking to someone on the phone and had my legs crossed, with my feet propped up on my desk ... and then, an Arab walked into my office.  He was an employee, but before he quit he said something to the effect I was a filthy infidel and lower than camel dung.  It was then that I learned that when in the Middle East, keep both feet firmly planted on the ground.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of world wide outrage would there be if an Iraqi dignitary was in THIS country and some reporter threw something at him?

That's the first thing he's done in 8 yrs that I've enjoyed. lol

I like the smirk he has on his face kinda "go ahead boy, bring it. I'll give ya an old fashioned Texas beat down. he he he."

Just out of curiosity, what kind of world wide outrage would there be if an Iraqi dignitary was in THIS country and some reporter threw something at him?

good question.

As the above poster noted, good question, but the answer's easy: there'd be a big outrage.

But it wouldn't happen. There's a lot of criticism of journalists, but regardless, no American reporter who works for a legitimate news source would pull a stunt like that.

I've been a harsh critic of Bush, but this was over the top. That Iraqi a$$hole is in no way, shape or form worthy of being called a "journalist."

I think it's funny that Maliki stuck his hand out. I wonder if he would have done the same if it was a bullet...