Sign in to follow this  
Infidel.

Living in Oklahoma

Well my wife just got her orders and she is going to be stationed at Tinker AFB in Oklahoma City.  Now, she has eight months of Tech School to go through before I am going to pack up and move out there with her but I want to start getting ideas on where we should live.  Any comments on the nice areas and what areas we should stay away from?  Any advice is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!!!  :)

Where is Tinker AFB near?  I have family in mid-southern and southeastern OK and the people up there are not much different than here in north Texas. . . very friendly.  Country is hilly east and flat west, mountainous in the southeast corner.  I'm sure there are many others who could give you some local advice.

I am quite partial to the areas S and SW of OKC.  Minco, Chickasha, Blanchard.  Nice places.  The area around Minco was one of the most beautiful I have ever seen.

East of OKC isn't bad either.  Shawnee is a nice town.

OK is one of the few places I've traveled where I hated to leave.

Texas.  Commute.  You can thank me later.

Tinker AFB is just southeast of Oklahoma city.  It's not the prettiest country in Oklahoma but it's not too bad.  Since the Air Force seems to go out of its way to build bases in inhospitable places, it seems they really screwed up with this location.  Lots of things to do.  Lots of places to fish.

I been to Seminole  (east Ok between fort smith and OK city)before my daughter lives there it was nice. A lot of scorpions around though she showed me the first time i went there they were under everything .she said daddy never ever walk barefoot she was right they was under evreything bags,tires,grass piled up,even plain view in the grass right before dark millions little ones too only about 2 inches and same color as ur skin

You poor soul, I just spent the last 2 years down there.... Its not bad down there you have a bass pro, riverwalk, o and I believe a pro basketball team.  Great fishing all over the place down there.

Thanks for all of the replies.  This really helps.  I'm sure going to miss the mountains and beach though.  We are thinking of just getting an apartment because we are hoping she doesn't get stuck there too long.  But she is a crew chief on an E-3 and Tinker is the main place for those.  Just need to keep hoping and praying that she gets moved to MacDill.   :)  

I have a nephew who is a Crew Chief Instructor on E-3 (AWACS); he just left Tinker after 10 years for Okinawa Japan. He just joined this site yesterday I'll ask him to give y'all the low down on Tinker and the surrounding area.  

That would be great!!!  Thanks Catt.  Your full of help for me today  :)

Yea well we just need to figure out this time zone issue  ;)

I just left Tinker AFB 4 months ago, I was there for 10 years. I am in Japan now. I lived everywhere from Norman to north OKC, I would recommend Norman/Moore area. Feel free to write me anytime and I can answer your questions. Oklahoma is a very nice area and some of the best fishing around!

Joey

And I am a Flight Engineer Instructor, not a Crew Chief Instructor. 8-)

Homer.jpg

I knew that ;)

Thanks for the info!!!  I will have some more questions for you before long.

I grew up in Tulsa, and moved to Norman in '99.  As far as the OKC area....I'd stay away.  It's just not that nice....quite a few dirty areas with crime.  I would live in Norman.  You can shoot right down Sooner road to Tinker in about 15min.